Replacement Door Glass?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had bought any custom cut replacement door glass for their wood stoves. I found a website that sells some custom cut 1/8" ceramic glass for $30 a piece (I would need two) and the specs say it can take temps up to 1400 degrees. Is 1/8" thick enough, and is 1400 degrees good enough. Thanks for your thoughts. Oh and the name of the glass is Neoceram.

no glass shop locally? think I got mine for 15.00 plus tax of course. but no shipping.

The website is oneday glass

I had a friend go to the local shop and about passed out when the guy told him the price. His is a lot bigger piece of glass than mine but dang. I can still go by there and check it out and if they are too high no harm no foul.

I tried to find it at my local glass shops and they only did glass for ovens, so I then tried my local wood stove store. My stove is older and they didn't carry it...so I had to order it online.

I used A1 Glass and it fit fine, looks good....no issues at all. Just wish I had bought a second one for the other door!

1/8" isn't very thick. My wood stove glass is 1/4" thick, but 1400 degrees is PLENTY hot. Most wood burns best(optimal burn zone) at 300-500 degrees and most carbon steel melts at around 2500 degrees.

Do you have a flue temp probe or a magnetic temp gauge on the chimney pipe?
They are a must for keeping the burn temps at the proper levels.

from what I remember, tempered glass is about $25 for my fireplace and it good to like 800F. Ceramic glass is about $100 and is good to 1400F or 1500F.
tempered glass works for my fireplace, I have had them break and I do keep an extra piece on hand. but for the most part, 800F is enough for my needs.

Do you have a flue temp probe or a magnetic temp gauge on the chimney pipe?
They are a must for keeping the burn temps at the proper levels.

No, but i am not sure how to do that cause I turned an ole heatalator type fireplace into an insert wood stove. The only way I think I could do it is drill a whole through the brick and the flue block into the liner pipe I installed. If someone knows what I mean please post pics if you have something similar. Or maybe just understand what I am talking about and give instruction.

neoceram is a good product. Most wood stoves use 5mm thick glass. You will want to use the same thickness and don't get tempered glass, the ceramic glass like you were quoted is the best.

Just had the glass replaced in the MIL's Hearthstone heritage, at the local Glass shop. The Ceramic stuff that meets spec. ain't cheap. Ran us 115 Bucks, but was done in 2 hours.

I dunno if I would trust shipping, and be out a week, but that's just me.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks for the help guys! Once again you get what you pay for. Unfortunately I have a new (to me) chainsaw in my sights that I just can't live without for the price, so the glass will have to wait a little while. I think its called CAD. Not sure what it means but I think I have it.

For those that are interested. I know a guy that once ran a glass shop. He told me the trick to cutting tempered glass, cut it before it is tempered.

Latest posts

Back