Replacement for aging 066??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoesTreeService

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an Stihl 066 that I use for mostly larger diameter stump cutting. I bought it used and nearly worn out, and now it is worn out. Besides the Stihl 066 and 088, what are some other saws that are comparable, and can drive the long bars when needed? I have looked at one larger used Echo at a local dealership. I have been very happy with my Echo MS320 that I use for my climbing saw.

I have not used brands other than Stihl and Echo and would like input on performance, durability and cost of some of the other brands out there.

besides husky and stihl the other brands that make a saw of same size would be solo,jonsereds wich is a husky,dolmar makes 79cc,but would be giving up 12cc shindaiwia makes 757 73cc echo makes 80cc ,but as far as 90cc plus saw ,not much of a choise ,besides solo ,husky and jonsereds.i have not run a solo ,but i am shure someone on here has. as for husky i,ve got a 394xp seems to be a good saw but have not used it much.as far as price just depends where you go. bailey,s has good prices on huskys.i seems aroud here stihl is cheaper than husky, but that is a local seems to me husky is a little cheaper on saws.

The 066 has been parted out already

Sorry but the 066 is being parted out. What doesnt sell locally I will post on here for a week then dump on ebay. Anyone ever use one of the Echo 8000? I have a dealer around her who has offered me one. I guess I will look for another 066 if I don't like the echo. Also I would ask you vets to rate 066 v 088.

Thanks guys!

Never run an 088, but have an 084. Unless I'm milling a really big log, I like my 066's much better. The 084 is heavier and I don't think it's that much faster (stock) with a 20-28" bar. If you are into really big wood with a long bar then it has a lot more grunt.

Depends on what/how you are cutting. If it's for the large diameter stump cutting, then you may see a difference.

Tom

BoesTreeService said:
Sorry but the 066 is being parted out. What doesnt sell locally I will post on here for a week then dump on ebay. Anyone ever use one of the Echo 8000? I have a dealer around her who has offered me one. I guess I will look for another 066 if I don't like the echo. Also I would ask you vets to rate 066 v 088.

Thanks guys!
Odd ya mention the Echo 8000. I had the fun of racing one of those several years ago. I had a big ole Homelite 540 at the time. The Homelite made it through the log first. We tried it again and the Homelite made it out the log first again. His buddy had a 064Stihl and we went at it 3 times and that 064 beat me all three times. Come to find out though he had leaned that 064 to scream and it did but it sure didn't run long before he fried that thing. The Echo however ran good, in fact real good. Not the most powerfull, surely will not hang with a 066 by any means but its a decent saw. The boy I raced that day still uses that same Echo 8000 all the time. He's put many a mile on it and it still runs good.

BostonBull said:
What about a modded 460? Less weight and the same power as an 066.

The only concern I would see in that is how much harder and faster that 460 has to run to get the same power as the 066/660. Lake give us some input here!!!!!

That was my thought exactly
A stock MS660 has only 1 more horsepower than a stock MS460
A modded 460 might have the same amount of "snort" (or a bit more) than a 660 with less weight.
My guess is that it might have more "top end" bit lack a bit on torque under load.
Anyone ever compared this?

toolmaker said:
That was my thought exactly
A stock MS660 has only 1 more horsepower than a stock MS460
A modded 460 might have the same amount of "snort" (or a bit more) than a 660 with less weight.
My guess is that it might have more "top end" bit lack a bit on torque under load.
Anyone ever compared this?

With the dual port muffler front (standard accessory) and a carb adjust the MS660 is close to 7.7HP... way more than a 460... and a lot more torque.

Tree Sling'r

What do you have against Echo saws? My 670 is a bit underpowered for a saw that size but it starts easier, runs smoother and throws more oil than any of my Stihls. Not trying to start a urinating match here I'm just curious.

Rick

Gravely Grinch said:
Tree Sling'r

What do you have against Echo saws? My 670 is a bit underpowered for a saw that size but it starts easier, runs smoother and throws more oil than any of my Stihls. Not trying to start a urinating match here I'm just curious.

Rick
Don't have anything against Echo. But, you just said it "My 670 is a bit underpowered for a saw that size." My Stihl's all start easy - if yours does not then there is something haywire. Besides Stihl is everywhere - you need a fix you got it. If I'm broke down I don't want to look around for what I need to fix it. With Stihl whatever part I need is available at most any dealer.
Can you explain to me what throwing oil is? When I throw oil I need a new tip.
No urninating match here just a very opinionated Stihl user.

Big saw purchase delimma

You have all brought up some good points. There were three questions brought to my mind mostly by these posts.

1) Why would professional buy a used saw? Here is my reasoning however valid it may be. This saw will get very little use - mostly to drive a huge bar for those giant stumps. I get the occasional oak with 36" or more diameter and some maples in the 48"+. I actually bid a maple like this yesterday. Why pay full price for a part time saw. I have had good luck with two used stihls - (the 066 and also an old 018 that i sold on ebay when i got the brand new echo top handle)

2) Run a 046 mod rather than 066. If I am gonna run a hot saw, then I would mod the 066. Im not concerned about the weight. Its just an occasional use saw, and to be honest the weight dont get me Im not a weak guy...haha.

3) Why to to echo from stihl? I just was looking into it cause i would prefer to buy my saws locally, dont find too many stihls for sale, but this 8000 is still at the dealer so its available, and the guy is really great to work with, I bought my 360 and 170 and my echo all there all brand new. But those saw get a lot of work.

Just my thoughts, Im not the smartest guy around thats why I pick your brains...and I welcome more comments.

Latest posts

Back