Replacement "pop in" seals on Metoer 039/390 49mm Piston & Cylinder kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, so I've got a question regarding a Meteor piston & cylinder kit that I ordered for a project 029 to 039 conversion. (I believe it was this one: https://www.sawagain.com/meteor-49mm-cylinder-kit-new-fits-stihl-039-ms-390/)

The area that normally holds the seals is a bit different than normal and I was told by someone, I think it was one of the guys at Sawagain where I bought it, that you are supposed to be able to swap the seals out with this kit without having to take the clamshell apart, I don't recall him relaying any details beyond that. Anyone know if that is true? It looks like it's maybe possible but I'm not sure exactly what kind of seals that would require or how one would go about doing that.

Also I wonder if you would still want to put a real thin layer of sealant around the edges of the seals, or nothing, or maybe just a little dab in the corners where it's pretty much always needed?

And if you needed a little dab in the corners, how would you prep it 2nd time around if replacing without taking apart exactly? Just try to clean the corners with carb cleaner or something and put a little dab of 1184 or similar there, install seal, let dry and pray?

I am intrigued by the thought but details on how these are supposed to work, how to seal first assembly, what seals to use specifically, how to install 2nd time, etc are all a great big mystery to me. Any help understanding them would be greatly appreciated!

You're a gentleman and a scholar Harley. So there are two types of seals, and one of them IS to use when you want to swap just the seals. Interesting.

Ok, so I tried to go down that rabbit hole and find other posts regarding this with those numbers but I still couldn't find definitive information. It seems like most guys use a little sealant around the "hard" seals when doing a full disassembly/reassembly. But I couldn't find any info on using the soft seals and initial install best practice and also when replacing soft seals how best to do. Maybe it's in a service manual for one of the 1123 or 1127 models I can find.

Latest posts

Back