Replacing just the bar tip sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is the video of the chainsaw guy doing one.

What type of bar are you thinking of doing this on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super informative responses. Thanks, guys.

I have a replaceable-tip Stihl bar that either needs a new tip or a new sprocket. I was going to buy it a $15 Forester tip. But, a <$15 OEM sprocket sounds pretty darn good.

Roy

Don't punch out the rivets but drill them and use new to re-assemble.
If new rivets come with the kit (that one seems to). In the thread that @hotshot referenced above, I used my chain breaker press to push them out gently, because I was re-using all the components.

I would still recommend doing this over an old towel in case any of the bearings decide to 'make a break for it'!

Philbert

I've done one, partly out of curiosity & partly necessity I made 1 good sprocket nose out of 2 damaged ones. I drilled a dimple in the rivets then pressed them out with a shop press. Used the inner race off a small bearing to support the sprocket metal (taped it in place around each rivet before pressing). Lost half the roler bearings out of the "practice" one I took apart first. Put it back together with the best rivets & with the exception of a chip coming off the nose (probably due to it being damaged when the original sprocket failed) it has been fine so far. Was a bit time consuming & not worthwhile for a $15 aftermarket tip, but possibly for a $40 oem. I'd do it again if the need arises.

I thought everyone did this! When the tip goes and the rest of the bar is still usable, why wouldn't you replace the tip? I've done it dozens of times. It's not rocket science.
Because we are not talking about replacing the TIP. We are replacing the inner workings only. Some saws don't even have a replaceable TIP but a solid nose with sprocket.

When the tip goes and the rest of the bar is still usable, why wouldn't you replace the tip?
Because we are not talking about replacing the TIP.
Actually . . . . a lot of guys, apparently, do not even bother with replacing the Replaceable Sprocket Nose ('RSN') tips!

Screen shot 2021-01-06 at 12.36.13 PM.png
A couple of years ago I stopped by my STIHL dealer to buy a replacement tip for a bar that been damaged. I was surprised that this busy shop did not have them in stock, but would have to order it (about a week). She explained that there are several different sizes, and that few of her customers actually buy them (!). She noted that the tip was about $24; a replacement bar was about $74; and their shop labor rate was $75/hour. So many commercial customers choose to buy a complete replacement bar for a few dollars more, and walk right out the door to get back to work (time is money, I guess).

She pointed to her 'scrap bin', with a 'next-to-new' guide bar, identical to mine, just missing a tip. Being a long time customer, and being 'fiscally conservative', I left there with a second guide bar and two tips on order!

I am not even sure which bars the internal sprocket replacement kits are still available for. Hit and miss on eBay, but not sure what STIHL and Oregon still sell new.

Philbert

Back