Replacing muffler 046 help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I never do anything like this and I'm looking for some help from the venerable members here

I have a colleague in Canada that purchased the stihl 046 Canadian dual port muffler (man is it different than the original)

So I took mine off there was a plate behind the muffler but didn't see any gasket type material

Do I need a gasket or does this plate function as the seal?

Is there a torque spec ?

Do I need to put anything on the threads ? (Wax, loc tite, etc...)

The next step is tuning but I might pass on that

there should be a gasket see if its stuck on the back of the muffler or the cylinder port . the metal thing is a heat protection idk why they put them on but most of us take them off .

The gasket between the front cover and the muffler shell/can is not really necessary and won`t hurt a thing if its not there. It is a cheap pat and should be there to make the saw original.The gasket between the muffler and cylinder must be in there to provide a proper seal.

I just recently had to helicoil the bolts for my stihl blower. The muffler had camme off in use. I went to my local stihl shop for a new muffler gasket. The shop owner told me not tto bother but to just use rtv red.

I did what he suggested and laid a .120 bead around the exhaust opening. So far so good, I guess only time will tell.

The gasket between the front cover and the muffler shell/can is not really necessary and won`t hurt a thing if its not there. It is a cheap pat and should be there to make the saw original.The gasket between the muffler and cylinder must be in there to provide a proper seal.

and it is also quite expensive for what it is:mad: Mine tore and in proper fashion I figured I better replace it ouch I think it was close to $14 or more

and it is also quite expensive for what it is:mad: Mine tore and in proper fashion I figured I better replace it ouch I think it was close to $14 or more

25 or so of my Stihls run fine without that gasket between the two muffler halves, no issues. Just my newer Stihls have that gasket, when they fall apart I don`t replace them.

I found the gasket, little piece of metal that shaped just like the outlet port

So for clarification

From engine out

Heat shield/muffler metal gasket/muffler rear housing/front housing

Also would you put the seal and the heat shield in the dishwasher to clean them up some (while the wife is gone of course)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back