Rescued on New Years Eve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofmytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had fun editing this video. I take no credit for the music choice that is all my daughters fault. It is pretty funny though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv6iDys3O-g

On the technical side, I have been asked a few times about the adjustable false crotch system we use in Washingtonia palms so here it is.

The throwline is wax coated 3mm nylon and the bag is 16oz. Only use lighter stuff if you WANT to get it stuck in the head. The first rope over must be a tight weave like Yale Fire XTC but the climbing line can be whatever grabs you.

Enjoy. :cheers:

Nice one omt saves the day n gutsy climber, a cat height and palms are unpredictable stuff to test ya courage.
whooooyie that edit beer eye trick was real LSD trippy.

I,m up way too early, needed to move a bee hive in a possum box. Gotta get use to having m buzzing all around my head.

So you are using the thick stuff to shoot a line? less chance of it cutting in and getting stuck.
I use kinda the same false crotch set up... when I am about to get pulled up by the truck:dizzy: And to be honest I probably would have done that on that ... whatever it was. Looked like quite a freaking nasty.

So you are using the thick stuff to shoot a line? less chance of it cutting in and getting stuck.
I use kinda the same false crotch set up... when I am about to get pulled up by the truck:dizzy: And to be honest I probably would have done that on that ... whatever it was. Looked like quite a freaking nasty.

Yeah. I started off using this a few years back stuff but it is a pig to throw compared to 1.8mm spectra. So these days the only use the 3mm gets is for this exact job.

xctmpqwauoI.png

That "thing" was a Washingtonia robusta which over there I believe is most often called a Mexican fan palm. Ironic considering it comes from Nevada! They are notorious for shedding the dead fronds in one big heap and crushing climbers to death. Hence why I do not use a lanyard but just "walk up" the side. Oh and did I mention the fronds are spiky as all hell!

Washingtonia_teeth.jpg

When the fronds dry out the splinter up nicely too. Anyone want to climb Washies with me?!

When you started up, I wondered where your pillowcase was. Then I noticed you just chased the cat down the tree instead of retrieving it. Too bad the fuzzbrain wouldn't do that on his own.

Ah ha. You have rescued cats too hunh! Actually we use a plastic recycling bag that has a drawstring top and a handle on top and bottom. It was tucked inside my shirt. Yeah thats right, I am not really that fat!

Yeah. I started off using this a few years back stuff but it is a pig to throw compared to 1.8mm spectra. So these days the only use the 3mm gets is for this exact job.

xctmpqwauoI.png

That "thing" was a Washingtonia robusta which over there I believe is most often called a Mexican fan palm. Ironic considering it comes from Nevada! They are notorious for shedding the dead fronds in one big heap and crushing climbers to death. Hence why I do not use a lanyard but just "walk up" the side. Oh and did I mention the fronds are spiky as all hell!

Washingtonia_teeth.jpg

When the fronds dry out the splinter up nicely too. Anyone want to climb Washies with me?!

No! Don't really want to but if I had to I would get a ride up them.

Ah ha. You have rescued cats too hunh! Actually we use a plastic recycling bag that has a drawstring top and a handle on top and bottom. It was tucked inside my shirt. Yeah thats right, I am not really that fat!

I went after a parrot, bit me a few times but I ws able to hold on without crushing it and stuff it in a sack. The sack was the first thing I thought I would need. The people who owned the bird gave me a stick and told me to try to get it to hop on it. I took the stick up to humour them.

I went after a parrot, bit me a few times but I ws able to hold on without crushing it and stuff it in a sack. The sack was the first thing I thought I would need. The people who owned the bird gave me a stick and told me to try to get it to hop on it. I took the stick up to humour them.

You could have used the stick to anaesthetise the parrot and thereby avoided being bitten.

OOMT - Great video. SFX is great. You know I'm gonna use this right?

LMFAO! too funny, nice video outofmytree. It's not everyday you get calls like that.:cheers:

Back