respecting the Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vodalus

Reaction score
I've got a problem. Our little investment group has purchased a property here in Southern California that is going to be expanded into the backyard.

The trouble is, a rather large Oak tree (trunk is 7 ft. circumference) sits directly next to where the foundation of the expansion needs to be located. I've gently uncovered a good portion of the root structures, of which about a good 30% extend directly into the space where the new foundation needs to lie.

I have contacted the city, and there is no preservation program in place in this area (Burbank). They say as long as the tree is on my property, I can do whatever I like with the tree.

I have no desire to kill or wound this Oak by cutting major branches where the roof of the expansion will be, or cutting into the root structure of the tree. I feel like this might open the tree to disease, and then it could fall onto the house or into the neighbor's yard. I assume the roots would just re-grow into the new foundation in any case.

I have contacted several local arborists and nurseries, and the one company I was finally put in contact with had no interest in relocating/reselling the tree, as they felt it was too large to deal with.

My only solution seems to be to remove the tree by cutting it apart and grinding the stump, but I hesitate to do this, as I have a deep respect for trees and nature. However, my partners are going to put this expansion in regardless, and I am running out of options.

Thought I would post here and see if any of you had some ideas as far as other options.

BTW, the previous owners were the ones who wrapped the tree up in christmas lights, which we will remove as soon as the electrical mains are relocated and no longer pose a danger.

Any ideas?

Picture attached.

Looks like the best way to respect this oak is to mill its wood and use it in the addition. There are ways to build next to trees, using posts instead of continuous footings, etc., but it takes a commitment by all parties start to finish to make it work. Also $.

As you point out, the tree will continue to grow, so maintenance $ would have to be factored in. Best to get a consulting arborist on site-- www.asca-consultants.org --there are several around LA.

Thanks for the reply and the link, I'll check it out.

update: Waiting for a reply from a local Arborist, I'll keep this post informed as to what happens.

Last edited:
Contact woodmizer.com (high-efficiency portable bandsaw mills) and see if they have any customers in your area.  It doesn't look to me like there's much there worth messing with, honestly.

Good luck,
Glen

What he said

I respect your not wanting to be wasteful ,with the wood.It appears to me to be a typical ,grown without competition ,urban tree.Short trunk,curvy limbs,possibility of nails,metal etc.If you mill it,use caution,and a good metal detector.Best of luck,whatever you do with it.

Latest posts

Back