respinning rivets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Can you break a chain and re-spin the old rivets? I was playing around with the idea of buying a loop of 325 NK chain and taking some cutters out to make it full skip and then grinding them to milling angles. I would think it'd be a stronger chassis than the low pro 3/8 and probably a narrower kerf as well.

What do you think? I see that you can buy standard kerf Oregon 325 in a full skip configuration already. Would the NK be enough of a difference to warrant the trouble of breaking and re-spinning the whole loop?

I'd like to mill some cedar with the 372 after break in and would like to make it as easy on the saw as I can manage.

Ian

I don't know about the .325 chain, but some times I "re-spin" rivet's on 3/8" chain. I set the spinner up for the smaller .325 chain and get a decent rivet.

When I "thin" the inside of the plate's on a race chain I can "re-spin" easily because the thinner plate let's the rivets stick through a little further. They have held up good, but I don't know much about milling application's.

Andy

Ian , the two .325 NK chains that I have (95VP and 20NK) are both micro chisel chains . I would think that you'd want chisel chain .

The 375 ripping chain loop I have from Bailey's is semi-chisel. I think if I try it, I'll just buy the Oregon chain. A lot less trouble that way.

Ian

FYI

I have tried skip chain reground to milling specs in .404, .375 and .325. All three were slower than their full comp counterparts.

The 325 I use is Carlton K3C .063 ga. full comp micro chisel reground to 10 degrees and I had great results with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back