Restored Lopi Freedom First Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob95065

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Last spring I answered a Craigslist ad for a free Lopi wood stove. I had to drive up north about an hour and a half to get it. The house was trashed along with everything in it. In the fireplace was a sad looking Lopi Freedom stove. The chimney wasn't sealed properly and years of leaking rain had rusted the entire outside of the firebox. The solid brass door was green with corrosion. It had been severely overtired resulting in multiple cracks in the air delivery system. I got it and the rigid liner out and brought it home.

I had a friend with a wire welder help me with the cracks. He did a great job and once that was done I was confident I could bring this Lopi back to life. I spent and hour or two here and there when I had free time grinding away rust and painting. I polished the solid brass door that was green with corrosion. Finally I spent some cash replacing the missing parts.

Last Saturday I installed the stove with the rigid liner and a piece of flex I had. It was too warm for a fire so I had to wait. I took today off and it was cool enough in the house to fire it up. It lit easily and when it came up to temp the fans kicked on and the room started heating up. The vaulted ceiling doesn't seem to be a problem for this big stove.

I have to get a surround and this project is done. I am very happy with the results. I have about $400 in it. Not bad for a Lopi a Freedom installed.

IMG_0037_zpszbuacz8s.jpg

Back