"Retired" guy finally shedding some equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrich

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm finally realizing that I need to shed the rest of my equipment. It's just so danged hard to let go of tools...and a lifestyle.
Retired from the tree service industry for the better part of eight years now, and I still have a bucket truck and a chipper that I kept because...well, I guess I thought I'd keep working on trees:dizzy:
So my question to you is, what's the value of used equipment in today's market?
1990 GMC Topkick. 3116 Cat, 5+2 spd., Forestry body, 55' Aerial lift of Conn., about 85,000 miles. Body and paint in decent condition (not an embarrassment to pull up to a jobsite in)
1999 Morbark 13 (drum) 125 h.p. John Deere, 585 hours. Has that special "water-based" paint they came out with that year.:biggrin:
Looking for some honest opinions.
Oh, and I'm over here on the coast in California if it makes a difference.

No, I don't .
I hadn't even heard of those placards until just recently when I started looking around online at equipment. That "carb" designation popped up here and there.
What's the story with that? The machines a '99 and met all emissions requirements for that year. Have our fearless leaders made my machine illegal? If so, maybe the gov. would like to buy it from me!:msp_w00t:

So could you give me the nickel tour?
What exactly makes a machine out of compliance?
Does it have to pass a smog check?:confused:

Well, we got rid of a 2005, 15" Morbark with about 3500 hours, Cat, maintained to a tea!, $4,000.00
Probably sold out of state, as will be your's. If you sell it.
Jeff :msp_w00t:

There are equipment brokers, real sharks, who'll buy your non compliant equipment. For what they pay you'd be better off parting it out or selling it for scrap.

We sold a couple of Cats to a broker and the price was just slightly better than scrap. Funny thing about that.
The Cats went to Mexico, were parted out, and the parts started showing up back in the States.

We found out about the whole scam when a parts dealer in Texas called us about some serial numbers that he traced to us.

Dont know if this will help you, but theres a website called Tractorhouse.com they auction off a lot of equipment and offer several companys that pick up and transport. Not that hard to join just give em your info and they call to confirm bank information and so on... Have some some friends that have sold equipment on there with great results. Good luck with it!

Edit: Its their sister company Auctiontime.com

Last edited:
One gal stopped my guy's from chipping on a private golf course, they will find you, California is a ****************
Jeff

I knew they had to be enforcing the restrictions somehow, just never heard how they did it. Makes perfect sense send out a fleet of cars burning fuel to stop people from running equipment they deem uses to much fuel(and the co2 emmissions there in) Brilliant!

I knew they had to be enforcing the restrictions somehow, just never heard how they did it. Makes perfect sense send out a fleet of cars burning fuel to stop people from running equipment they deem uses to much fuel(and the co2 emmissions there in) Brilliant!

I think they are from Berkley! :msp_w00t:
Honestly, The 2005 chipper I mentioned was behind the chip truck. Just got thru the scale's on the 15 north to Riverside. Do you know how long it take's to drive north to Riverside from Escondido? I do! Young guy followed all the way to Beaumont! My guy's were wise and new something was up because they were in the right lane on the 60West as it came to the 10 West. He could of passed a hundred times thru those badland's. They look for the placard and if none is (seen),(they may still check it out),
They can't pull you over but they can shut you down.
Jeff:biggrin:

Sooo..... everybody in California had to get rid of their chippers? And buy new ones? What year chipper qualifies as a "legal" one?
I know I've been out of the loop for a while now, but dang! How could I have not heard about this!
I feel like the guy in that movie "idiocracy", who wakes up in the future and is trying to figure out what the heck is going on!:confused::dizzy::help:

"jefflovstrom
One gal stopped my guy's from chipping on a private golf course, they will find you, California is a ****************
Jeff "
So what happened next? Did you haul the chipper back to the yard? Finish the job after she left? Permanently park the chipper? Pay fines?

You won't be able to register it. No tag's!
Jeff

You guys certainly have a business friendly atmosphere out there, I could see phasing out older equipment in favor of newer and cleaner stuff but that is just nuts. I feel for guys like the op who have equipment they are going to take a bath on because of regs, doesn't seem hardly fair.:mad:

Sooo..... everybody in California had to get rid of their chippers? And buy new ones? What year chipper qualifies as a "legal" one?
I know I've been out of the loop for a while now, but dang! How could I have not heard about this!
I feel like the guy in that movie "idiocracy", who wakes up in the future and is trying to figure out what the heck is going on!:confused::dizzy::help:

"jefflovstrom
Jeff "
So what happened next? Did you haul the chipper back to the yard? Finish the job after she left? Permanently park the chipper? Pay fines?

Actually, we did wait for her to leave and then finished (warning and notice to comply), etc....
Jeff
I am trying to tell you that only new is gonna sell, sorry.
Maybe find a Avacado ranch and make a deal! BTW, That is not a joke.
Jeff

O.K., just googled it and read the 2006 "Carb Perp" (gotta love that name!)
Sure enough, according to them it is illegal to operate my chipper in Cal. Because they say so.
Hmmm... can't seem to find the correct emoticon to express myself right now.
So who's selling the grey-market placards? I jest, of course!

Back