"Retired" guy finally shedding some equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K., just googled it and read the 2006 "Carb Perp" (gotta love that name!)
Sure enough, according to them it is illegal to operate my chipper in Cal. Because they say so.
Hmmm... can't seem to find the correct emoticon to express myself right now.
So who's selling the grey-market placards? I jest, of course!

Sorry man,really.
Like I said, seek out an avocado ranch. Usually private property and if your machine is good,
Maybe you can get something for it. Maybe 2k.
Jeff

Sure enough, according to them it is illegal to operate my chipper in Cal. Because they say so.

But it not illegal to grow pot. So you see what you need to do now right?

Why cant you sell it online out of state?

You can, guys from cali post stuff on craigs list all the time in OR and WA. Jeff, you guys passed on 6-7k, selling that to some guacamole farmer. That chipper would have sold for at min 12k. Just a sold a 90's 1250 with about 50,000hrs for 6k. We have a pretty stringent emission test up here but the equipment is exempt. Just post out of state you''ll make at least twice the amount you would selling in state

You can, guys from cali post stuff on craigs list all the time in OR and WA. Jeff, you guys passed on 6-7k, selling that to some guacamole farmer. That chipper would have sold for at min 12k. Just a sold a 90's 1250 with about 50,000hrs for 6k. We have a pretty stringent emission test up here but the equipment is exempt. Just post out of state you''ll make at least twice the amount you would selling in state

Thats what I was thinking and answered my own question by reading a little more lol...deleted the post too late. I think selling out of state would be the best way to unload something like this. I feel sorry for you Cali guys...I'm really suprised they havent come out with a law that enforces public farting. Catalytic underwear anyone?????

You guys certainly have a business friendly atmosphere out there, I could see phasing out older equipment in favor of newer and cleaner stuff but that is just nuts. I feel for guys like the op who have equipment they are going to take a bath on because of regs, doesn't seem hardly fair.
Nope, not fair at all! But the truth is, Business's of all kinds have been leaving (RUNNING) the state in droves for years. This state is known to be the absolute worst place in the nation to try to run any kind of business.

I am trying to tell you that only new is gonna sell, sorry.
Maybe find a Avacado ranch and make a deal! BTW, That is not a joke.
Jeff
Well, I do REALLY like guacamole.... I might make out o.k. on this thing after all:msp_tongue:

But it not illegal to grow pot. So you see what you need to do now right?
Jah, Rastafari!
Actually though, I'm a Pasta-farian, which is similar...sort of.

Good info., thank you.

Yeah Holden, I know.
If this thing goes Fed, there will be anarchy!
Jeff

Yeah Holden, I know.
If this thing goes Fed, there will be anarchy!
Jeff

The carb. law benefits ops. like you the most. Outfits like yours have deeper pockets and the ability to afford new equipment. Cali is already suffering from low budget outfits and illegal workers driving down the bottom line.You may find it annoying but for alot of non legit outfits it runs them out of state. Cant complain bought that!

Wow, didn't know about this CARB stuff. One good thing about the midwest, no smog check crap. With farmers blowing black smoke all the time, its a wonder they don't do it here! They (the little dudes following Jeff around) would probably disappear if they tried that on a farmer here!

Good point on the little ones burning a bunch of gas to stop a chipper from ........... burning gas.

Kinda like the PETA guys wearing leather sandals.

To the OP, I sold 2 chippers on Ebay, one went to NW Wisconsin and the other to E Nebraska, both over 500 miles away. A 1989 Morbark 290 for 7 and another 1990 290 for 5, for what its worth

Or you could round up a few other chippers, put them in a shipping container and send them to Australia. All that gear is so pricey over here. I'm looking round for a good used 9" or 10" these past 6 months. You can get something not completely worn out for about $20k-$30k. Basic new 18" chippers with the smaller engines and no bells and whistles start at about $90k and go up to about $150k for a heavy duty fully loaded.

Shaun

It would get expensive owning a business if u have to replace most of your equipment every couple years. They just don't understand there will never b a solar powered wood chipper.

Wondering if any of youse affected by CARB have considered re-powering existing equipment with newer lower emission engines? Or is that not cost efficient / CARB compliant?

dirtrich, welcome to california!!!...lol

Wondering if any of youse affected by CARB have considered re-powering existing equipment with newer lower emission engines? Or is that not cost efficient / CARB compliant?

Do you mean, up-grade on older unit? For what? That will get you a few years, but the long term cost is not worth it. This state will get it's money somehow.
Jeff

Do you mean, up-grade on older unit? For what? That will get you a few years, but the long term cost is not worth it. This state will get it's money somehow.
Jeff

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, cause I woulda thought a new engine on a chipper in good mechanical shape would make more economic sense than having to replace the whole machine just cause CARB doesn't like the engine currently powering it.

The emission restrictions will only keep getting stricter. People thought the regenerating exhaust was the end. Now all the new trucks have urea injection. The company I work for just keeps rebuilding the trucks they have no plans on buying new trucks. All the trucks they have bought in the last few years have had serious problems and they get worse mileage than a 625 cat:(

I'm enjoying this thread, and really appreciate everybody's input!
I won't be able to add anything to it for a couple of days though, because family is coming in from out of town and we're going to be busy killing Salmon!
Possibly TUNA this weekend if they are reasonable and show up like I asked them to! (the tuna, that is):msp_w00t:
I'll be thinking of you guys while I'm floating around on the ocean drinking a root beer!:biggrin:

It would get expensive owning a business if u have to replace most of your equipment every couple years. They just don't understand there will never b a solar powered wood chipper.

Nope, just a match:angry2:....um make that lightning. They like mother nature so it's ok.

Try puttin' that stuff on, "Rock and Dirt," sell it out of state. I'd love to have the truck and the chipper, but we've got one of each. To find older rust-free stuff hard to do. Hardest thing on engines and hydraulics is sittin', though. Better unload it.

Latest posts

Back