Reusing gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I have a saw I just put together but had an issue and had to tear down. Can I reuse the paper gaskets like the carb gasket?

I never reuse gaskets. There cheap to replace. Down the road that’s asking for a failure.

You can get gasket material at napa and make almost any gasket of similar material.

You can use this HF Hollow punch set and a box cutter and make lots of gaskets.
Napa has some gasket material that is wire re-enforced and I use a combination of these hollow punches, sharp chisels and a hard OAk backing block and I easily make intake manifold gaskets for the onan type intake manifolds. (these type gaskets are way overpriced, but must be in good shape and wire re-enforced to be reliably for long periods of time)

I dunno about the rest of you but I hate, and I mean hate cutting gaskets out!!!!
I use a hole punch for the screw holes but trying to get a good trace off of a flange is horsesh*t. I hate it I tell ya

I dunno about the rest of you but I hate, and I mean hate cutting gaskets out!!!!
I use a hole punch for the screw holes but trying to get a good trace off of a flange is horsesh*t. I hate it I tell ya
I use a scalpel, magnifying visor and Prussian blue if it's a complex shape or the paper is too thick for the muck on my thumb to make a scum tracing of the detail. I love making gaskets, it become a ritual, and an excuse to get the bench clean for five minutes.

When using a hollow hole punch don’t forget to punch the holes on a piece of wood. This will keep your punches sharp.

I just use a discarded empty rifle brass on a piece of wood to punch holes for gaskets. Works well for bolt holes. Since it appears some are confused how rubbers work. I will let him explain why he thinks you would reuse them. If I am rebuilding a saw, it gets new gaskets. If I am pulling the muffler or carb off a saw that is in good condition, gaskets look like they are in good condition, they get reused.

I only reuse gaskets if it is both in good condition and not torn or damaged. I'll make new gaskets if I need to replace. A sheet of 1/32 fiber rubber gasket material is fairly inexpensive.

For holes I use either a hollow punch or a leather punch. I favor the leather punch for the steeper angle on the tapered part of the punch, and it has it's own punch plate which negates the need for a hammer and block of wood.
An X-acto knife makes easy work for cutting out a pattern in the sheet material.

To make gasket patterns, I use an old trick that I learned. Rub a little bit of light oil (3 in 1, two stroke oil, etc) on the surface that you are making a gasket for, and that take that and press it against the gasket material. The idea is that you'll transfer the outline and holes to the gasket material with the light coat of oil and know where exactly to cut the holes and outline. Prussian blue also works as mentioned above by Tcme.

Here's the punches I use:

Leather Punch - https://www.harborfreight.com/leather-punch-tool-97715.html
Hollow Punches - https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Back