Review of the Helicoil Sav-A-Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a junked MS440 which was advertised as having a stripped spark plug hole. I got lucky on this one. The cylinder and piston were in pristine condition, with a cylinder/skirt clearance of .002". Just needed some new Cabers and it would be like new. The bottom end was also great. Just needed a spark plug hole repair.

Resized_20190912_094202_8507.jpeg

The only machine shop in my area didn't do automotive work, so it was DYI or get a new cylinder. I obviously wanted to save the cylinder, so I took a chance on the Helicoil Sav-A-Thread.

Resized_20190911_193111_5869.jpeg

It came with three inserts, the smallest being the perfect depth for the cylinder.

Insert:

Resized_20190912_225422_2245.jpeg

The cutting tool starts with a standard 14mm tap which leads into a beveling section and then a thread cutting section for the insert.

Resized_20190912_230501_7782.jpeg

Resized_20190912_094828_6801.jpeg

Here's the problem: if you are repairing a deep spark plug hole, the 14mm tap will pull you automatically into the cutting area and continue to act as a guide. With my cylinder, by the time I was through the original spark plug depth, the tap was also through, and I was left without a guide, except for hands and eyes.
I continued on, putting pressure on the tap and being very careful to make sure the tap was plumb. I used grease to lubricate the cut and catch the shavings (the cylinder was not on the saw, but the grease did a good job of keeping the shavings on the cutter). After several starts and cleanings, I broke through to the other side (Cue "The Doors"). I cleaned all surfaces, liberally applied Permatex Red Thread Sealer, and seated the insert flush with the plug seating surface. At that point I seated the expander die and smacked it with a hammer to drive the upper spikes into the aluminum threads.

Resized_20190912_225608_1305.jpeg

It wasn't absolutely plumb, but was just a hair off, so it looked OK. Considering there was no real guide for the threads, it was surprisingly good. The thread hole had acted as a sort of guide by pushing the thread cutter toward the path of least resistance.

This is how it looked when finished:

Resized_20190912_224406_8420.jpeg
This concludes Part I.
I will follow up when the saw is complete and tested.

So far,

PROS:
The kit is not difficult to use and so far has done the job it was intended to do.

The price for the kit is reasonable; less than $23, delivered, and can be reused for
only the price of the insert.

The design and quality appears to be good.

CONS:
When using with short spark plug holes, the major benefit is lost, that is, the
14mm tap acting as a guide to keep the cutting tap positioned exactly. This is a
substantial drawback.

The insert threads into the hole easily (with a finger holding the insert). I would
prefer that the fit be more snug. I doubt that this will pose a problem, just my preference.

This concludes Part I. I will follow up when the saw is complete and tested.

Part II to follow.

Attachments

• Resized_20190912_230501_7782.jpeg
    Resized_20190912_230501_7782.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back