Rigging "Silks" to trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

Reaction score
Hi All.

I need some advice on economical ways to rig acrobatic ribbons in trees.
Here is a vid of what we are dealing with.

This is not for me, by the way.

Most of the tree bark here in South Alabama will be far to rough to pull the silk over the limbs like he did in the video. We have live oaks, water oaks, long leaf pines. Most all are rough

I have some experience with tree climbing equipment...friction savers, throw bags, etc..

Most, if not all of the people I'm helping are girls so lets keep it semi simple if possible.

My initial idea goes as follows:
(Tree branches of approx 20 to 25')

Sleeve friction saver
Throw line/bag
SRT base anchor including figure 8 and carabiners

With these items, I'm already up to $75 and I don't even have rope yet.

What would be some other options that more economical?

Thanks a bunch.

I'm not a SRT guy, but could you use a running bowline instead of a fig 8 / biners for a base anchor?
Also, since the limbs are only 20 - 25' high, if you used a LADDER, you could probably wrap the limbs with old carpet or something similar so as not to abrade your silk.

Tie a figure 8 on a bight on the end of a rope. Girth hitch your silk to the figure 8. Throw the other end of the rope over your branch. Haul up your silk. Use all your extra equipment to make your basal anchor lowerable if you want.

Thanks for the replies.

I was leery of throwing a rope over a limb and pulling the silk up.

Is there an abrasion resistant rope that work well for this setup?

Most any tree rope will withstand the abrasion of the limbs perfectly fine. You can get shorter pieces (cutoffs from spools for less cost per foot) from wesspur or treestuff so you don't need to buy the whole rope.

Back