Rim sprockets for tree saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robedic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been reading posts where you guys are talking about "rim sprockets". I've followed the links to Madisons and Oregon, but I still have a couple of questions: Does anyone know what real advantage they offer and why are they not available for tree saws like my 335?

Advantages:

1. Rim can float and constantly align itself with bar groove.

2. It is relatively inexpensive to replace when your drum portion is otherwise still good.

3. The rim supports the chain better than a spur.

4. It sometimes gives you the flexibility to change tooth count or pitch.

Disadvantages:

1. They are not available for all saws. Some of this may be due to the fact that the manufacturer may not want you to be readily able to change things around.

2. If the manufacturer of a new saw only makes a spur available, they might retain your OEM repeat bisiness untill an after market supplier sees fit to tool up the application.

Sometimes there is a sproket that will fit your saw that is not yet in the application guides. This takes a little research work by someone who has most of the available sprockets on hand.

somtimes a sprocket for another saw has dimensions that are close enough to work with a little trimming. It takes a lot of patience to figure it all out, Thanks Tony!

The biggest deterrent to making sprockets work for other applications is, the newer saws having drive devises for no oil at idle. Otherwise you can usually make something work. I have ground, and cut, and silver soldered, and welded and you name it; but somethimes you just don't have anything close enough to go from or off of.

Latest posts

Back