Rings in bark of tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I should have taken pictures. I have a Hickory tree to diagnose. It has rings in the bark that go around the entire tree and slightly bulge. I can describe it like a wire rope was left on a tree and it grew around it. That's not what it is, but that's what it looks like. They are on the trunk and on several limbs. And guesses?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sounds like reaction wood or some borers do that. Could be a few other things though. Try to get pics if you can.

92340b1f790035e62030dd522c41dc99.jpg
5f4a012d7a65b3d05fe5ab36ef0e9729.jpg
b3c9a8b22cee2f5841bc62932c287df1.jpg

I should have taken pictures. I have a Hickory tree to diagnose. It has rings in the bark that go around the entire tree and slightly bulge. I can describe it like a wire rope was left on a tree and it grew around it. That's not what it is, but that's what it looks like. They are on the trunk and on several limbs. And guesses?

Looks like the tree tried to grow around something to me. Not an arborist but I see that a lot around me being in a very urban area

That's what it looks like until you see them forming on the limbs.

Dont think its sapsuckers...my guess is rib buckling and partial wood failure. Hows the overall canopy vitality and the root collar situation? Any outward signs of decay and or damage?

Any bittersweet at he base that was possibly cleared out of the tree? I've cleared it out of trees and the weed grew around and just about choked the tree out.

Any bittersweet at he base that was possibly cleared out of the tree? I've cleared it out of trees and the weed grew around and just about choked the tree out.
It's in a yard. It's landscaped around it. Nothing out of the ordinary. It does have some heavy wounds at the top from losing it during a wind storm. It's attempting to close the wound. The remaining top is pretty broad and is concerning.

As is that tight juncture with included bark.
Yep. I gave 2 suggestions. Removal or top it low and have a bush for a few years. They like the tree and I am not for topping unless it's a last ditch effort. It's kind of like chemo and cancer. There are going with removal.

How about a reduction of the smaller codom and/or a cable installation? Borers complicate matters if course

The whole top has a hole straight through right under it. Or, it grew around it. It's sketchy.

in the past week I've done 4 hollow trees. Crazy how it happens. At least it saves on weight at the dump lol

The whole tree was full of them.
f07d6ce3ff2206e6b6157455a6cbd785.jpg

Wondering if Hickory Decline is also at play. Similar complex to Oak Wilt involving bark beetles and a different species of Ceratocystis. A stressed/dying tree would certainly attract borers and bark beetles which could then lead to fungal infection

Or if the stress of the injury (losing its top) weakened it's defense.

Back