Rookie Question? Can't start 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been using this saw for a year and a half. It has usually started within 3-4 pulls after priming. Yesterday was cutting some 30"diameter cedar trees. I stopped the saw for a few minutes, now I can't get it to restart. So far I have: Poured out the fuel, cleaned out the tank with straight gas and refilled it with new oil/gas, changed the spark plug, taken off the air filter and blown out the dust, undone the fuel line from the priming bulb to make sure that there weren't any blockages between the tank and the bulb. Blown out the fuel filter to make sure it wasn't clogged. It will start and run for a few seconds with some starting fluid shot into the carb, but then dies immediately like it isn't getting any fuel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! I'm glad I found this site I have already gotten some great advice and a service manual:clap:

Been using this saw for a year and a half. It has usually started within 3-4 pulls after priming. Yesterday was cutting some 30"diameter cedar trees. I stopped the saw for a few minutes, now I can't get it to restart. So far I have: Poured out the fuel, cleaned out the tank with straight gas and refilled it with new oil/gas, changed the spark plug, taken off the air filter and blown out the dust, undone the fuel line from the priming bulb to make sure that there weren't any blockages between the tank and the bulb. Blown out the fuel filter to make sure it wasn't clogged. It will start and run for a few seconds with some starting fluid shot into the carb, but then dies immediately like it isn't getting any fuel. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!! I'm glad I found this site I have already gotten some great advice and a service manual:clap:

besides checking the fuel lines, make sure that the primer bulb isn't leaking/broke. The saw won't run if the primer bulb is shot, it can't draw fuel.

I meantioned this before......I hate primer bulbs. New saws that have them, i swear they only have them because the saws are set up so :censored: lean. My old saws, no primer bulb at all, start 2 to 3 pulls with just a choke.

primer bulb seems to run fuel through when pushed, but there didn't seem to be any fuel moving when i get it started with starter fluid. fuel filter seemed fine, and hoses are pretty new saw only 2 years old. hate to admit it but i did put bar lube in wrong fill one time about 5 uses ago. i cleaned it out immediately , and it ran fine after that though.

My hoses when in both my 455 and 372 in about 2-3 years its the transition between the tank and the carb area only way to really check is to pull it out completely and bend it around and see if you can see any cracks open up.

primer bulb seems to run fuel through when pushed, but there didn't seem to be any fuel moving when i get it started with starter fluid. fuel filter seemed fine, and hoses are pretty new saw only 2 years old. hate to admit it but i did put bar lube in wrong fill one time about 5 uses ago. i cleaned it out immediately , and it ran fine after that though.

a leaky primer bulb will push fuel, but suck in air, losing vacuum for the fuel pump, therefore, your saw won't get fuel. Look carefully at the bulb, and make sure its dry. It shouldn't be wet with gas.

For about $5 you can get all the fuel line you need for your saw. A primer bulb is a few $ more.

Latest posts

Back