Root or Weed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtate

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was out watering and weeding the mulched area of my 2 newly planted October Glory maples (guess they are about 4 years old cause they are about 3 caliper) this evening when I came upon a thick white root coming through the mulch. Thinking it a weed, I gently pulled but the root did not come out, so I snipped it with scissors. Now I'm wondering if I should have done that. I shouldn't be seeing roots coming out of the mulch from the tree should I, or is this normal growth from the tree that I should leave alone? The trees were b&b, not bare root.

More than likely it was a weed. Tree farms grow their trees in fields, and weed control is always a constant battle. Typical prep to dig a tree that is sold is to scrape the weeds off before digging. You get the weed roots with your tree at no extra charge. :dizzy:

Thank you!
I'd like to ask another question if I may. The leaves of these 2 maples have black spots on them that eventually turn into holes. I was told by the nursery that it is from 'top watering'. It looks like tar spot to me. If this is tar spot, will it come back again every year unless I treat it? Also, one side of one of the maples lost many leaves, to the point that there are branches with maybe 2 or 3 leaves on them. Since the other maple retained most of its leaves all around I'm concerned. I'm guessing this is not a good thing.

Once I've treated the trees in the spring, with a copper spray (I think I've seen this on this site), will it continue to come back? Should I wait and see in the spring at this point?
Also, any thoughts on the lost leaves on half the tree?
Thanks for your reply!

Marie,
Sanitation can go along way to control some of the benign leaf diseases. In the fall rake and remove the leaves to the trash.

Back