root problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfsweeney

Reaction score
Hello
I have an inground pool. There is a fairly large tree within 7 to 8 feet of
the pool.If the tree was
pruned on top; would that promote growth upwards and slow down growth
sideways going towards the pool?
I am located in staten island, N.Y.10308
Thanks Bob Sweeney

No, topping the tree will only increase it's exposure to pests and disease and weaken the tree.

One current trenching in the root zone Rule Of Thumb (ROT) is 3-6 times the DBH. so if the tree dia. is 30in @ 4.5 ft it is best to regularly prune ruts at 15ft. and no less then 7.5.

What you can do is annualy have a vibratory plow come in and cut the roots as close to the pool as possible.

Closer to the tree you get the more anchor you compromise and the greater the risk of root rot setting in.

Tree Topping

In Nursery production many of the Nations leading nurseries are incorporating topping, and new leader selection of young trees to promote outward branching, and creating a better scaffold of branches.
The verdict is still out on the long term affects of this method, but as of yet no negatives have been announced.
If i read the question correctly, it sounded like you do not want the canopy to grow over the pool. Rather than topping hire someone to prune back the horizontal branching to keep the pool free and clear.

John
ISA Certified Arborist, Illinois Certified Nurseryman
Garden Visions Nursery

Bob,
Some clarification is needed, I think. My impression of your post is that you don't have a problem with the height of the tree, but you want to limit the sideways growth of the tree towards your pool (to stop the tree dropping stuff in the pool, I would assume). Is this correct? Are you concerned about the roots damaging the pool?

Alan

Garden Visions

I have read that as well - that topping can be beneficial to young trees. I think though, that it warrants some clarification - YOUNG trees, 2- 4 years.

Topping large trees is bad, bad, bad.

topping trees is a very poor arborist practice when people call me and ask me to top a tree i dont even take the job tree cutters work is a reflection of him . good work must always be practiced.

thanks i see so many tree services top trees and stuff like that . Those guys are just looking for a guick buck and dont care about it after they get paid. you have to take pride in your work that is the stuff that makes custermers happy and get referals to keep you working

Back