Rope brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my boss swears by samson velocity rope. i've used it a few times and its great. super light weight, lasts a long time, doesn't stretch, holds knots very well, and a nice thing is that it's a smaller diameter rope (7/16" which is 11mm) so you can use rock climbing hardware which is generally a lot more affordable than tree specific equipment (a gri gri is like $70 or so and the petzl I'D i bought for my 1/2 inch rope was about $170, and they're essentiall the same thing!). it seems most guys prefer 1/2 inch rope, and they say its easier for spurless climbing because its easier to hold onto the wider rope. from the stuff i've read on this bored and guys i've talked to, more are switching over to the smaller rope though.

i use cheapo rope which still works, but i wouldn't recommend it. when i need new ropes i'll probably be switching to the samson velocity.

i like all samson rope.

Last edited:
I have always like the New England Safety Blue. I've been using it for years. It's affordable and efficient. I have also used the True Blue in the past (started out using it) and I also have a Poison Ivy rope I bought to use with some of the ascenders and gadgets I bought for SRT. The smaller Poison Ivy rope tends to bind up my climbing knots more than the 1/2 inch rope and makes my hands ache more from having to grip the smaller diameter rope.

Latest posts

Back