Rope Colors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a piece of rope to try climbing with DRT as demonstrated by Peter Jenkins on his DVD, because I need to get up into a pecan tree of mine that was hit by lightning.

I can't find the sites right now, but yesterday I found an arborists supply place that was selling 150' of 1/2" arborist's rope for about $70 and the only thing I could see that might not be so great was the color -- it was white with a red tracer.

Question is, how do you experienced climbers feel about fluorescent orange or chartreuse or whatever bright color rope, so that you'll see it better and be less likely to cut it with the saw? If you were a beginner like me, would you consider it worth the extra money?

(I have a 13mm rock climber's kernmantle rope, but I understand that's considered too "bouncy" for tree climbing work...?)

Thanks for any replies.

When I started climbing climbing lines were white (arborplex). Then I became a bluestreak user (which is blue). Recently I bought something called firefly or dragonfly I forget which one but it is screaming chartruse.
IMHO color doesn't matter, the most important thing is that you get a new climbing line EVERY year!

I feel the brighter the better, I had a length of Arber-Plex white with a green stripe. After a while the white has become a dull gray and is very hard to see in the tree. I am always concerned with the location of my rope. I usually access the tree via SRT so one end of the rope is on the other side of the tree.
My next rope (at the start of next year) will be one of the bright colored ones.

Canyon Angler said:
Question is, how do you experienced climbers feel about fluorescent orange or chartreuse or whatever bright color rope, so that you'll see it better and be less likely to cut it with the saw? If you were a beginner like me, would you consider it worth the extra money?
Thanks for any replies.
I personally love the bright colored rope but not so much so that I can see it in the tree-usually keep pretty close track of my lifeline at all times. It's more so my groundies can see it. White ropes are horrible around here in winter. Groundies can't see it and are either nicking it while cutting up limbs or even dragging it into the chipper! I'm not a big fan of green ropes either.

I like to use different colored ropes.

That way I can just holler "Blue rope, Red rope, white etc."

Cuts down on confusion of 'which rope?'.

Brighter the better, I have XTC Plus 16 strand which I get from Fresco's - 130' for less than $100 - red white and blue (intro Dixie or sumptin 'merican)

Canyon,

Color has nothing to do with a rope, it is all in the feel and handling of the rope when working with it and it's compatablity with knots and cords. If the rope your looking at meets ansi standards then I say go ahead and get it, regardless of the color, you sound like it would be used for part-time occasional climbing use.

If you think you need some bright colored rope so you can see it so you won't cut it with a chainsaw then you shouldn't be using a saw in a tree, a bright colored rope is not a prerequiste for good saw handling skills while using a chainsaw and planning a cut in a tree, it won't stop a saw headed in the wrong direction . A good climber minds his rope religiously and keeps the rope and his body out of harms way, no matter what color or name of the rope he/she is climbing on.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks all, great replies all.

Larry I like what you say about a good climber watches his rope religiously, no matter what color or kind,

For you boys who do it all the time, I imagine it's instinctive, in the same way hunters always know where their muzzle is. To me, THAT's something I watch religiously, because it'll TEACH you some religion.

Anyway, as a hunter, I see flourescent orange to mean WATCH OUT so I guess it's alarming to me. Maybe orange rope would be more effective on me than on a non-hunter ?

I'm thinking even if the line costs way more, it's worth it.
Thanks again for all replies
Jeff

Last edited:
Avoid Climbing Lightning Struck Trees!

It Could Cost U Ur Life. Is It Worth It? Any Good White Rope Is Stronger Than 1 That Has Been Dyed But I Like Orange:d

It's basically your own preference, if you feel you can work with this rope safely and competently then this is the rope for you.

Good luck and be safe climbing that tree.

i like different, brightly colored ropes. Easier to see, tell them apart, customers point them out etc.

i even put brightly colored tape of different colors on the ends. So, i can yell to grab the red end of blue etc.; when needed. It also makes it easier to mentally track lines by usage. We are downgrading the blue to light rigging today; it has had a lot of loading cycles, some pretty harsh etc. Or, has anyone seen the yellow line? i try to have lanyard, lifeline, prussik cord, rigging lines etc.; all different colors in tree. some how i feel safer that i might get .34 seconds quicker identification in a pinch, or at a fast pace.

White lines can be a lil'stronger; for in a 1/2" tight package; the molecules for the dye do take up some room, that rope fibre now can't occupy. But, usually the losses are nominal any more; especially at 10:1 SWL's etc.

The only benefit to having a bright rope is so you can see it easier in tree when you are still on the ground. It is easier to make sure you are in the crotch you really want to be in, and that you are not on a sucker 1 or 2 feet above. Besides that, I totally agree about always knowing where your rope is when cutting. I SRT and DRT, and knowing where your rope is at all times is key.

Latest posts

Back