Rope length and compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is just my observation but the laws of physics shall prevail.
If a member says that his saw has good compression, but, how far does the starting rope pull out? Does it pull out a good 3-4 feet? Or just 2-3 feet? what I am trying to say is that the rope on the recoil has a definitive impact on how the saws compression feels.If the rope is fully wound on the spool, then the saws compression will feel normal. If the rope has been broken, and shortened, then the mechanical leverage will be lessened and the saw will feel as if it has more compression than it actually has. A compression gage is the only real answer.Ken

excellent point

I bought a new 1995 skidoo MXZ 583
That sob was so hard to pull over, they offered a new pullrope assembly that was I think a 1/4 of an inch larger. supposed to have made a whole lot of difference.. I just manhandled it..Never spent the money for the kit

Yep the design size of the rope spool has an influence as well as the amount of rope on the spool. Same as a winch, you got more line pull on a near empty drum than a full one.

Back