Rotten Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlyle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just thought that I would share a couple of pictures from a tree that I fell yesterday. This is the first time that I have taken a camera with me while cutting, so bear with the photography. I don't personally burn firewood (natural gas), but we do in our shop at the farm. I can cut enough in a day or two to heat the shop for the year, so then I cut for friends, family, etc. A vast majority of the wood that I take is fence row ash, elm, cherry that is dead or leaning into the fields. The rough stats on this tree are 51" at the widest part of the back cut and then about 42" dbh. I paced the tree off at 30 paces or my guess 95 feet. It had some nasty rot and also had EAB damage. Everything went as planned for what it is worth. It is always a little touchy with these trees (rotten, fence row, lean) and usually keeps me on my toes.
I used an open face notch about 70 degrees with not much depth. I tried to keep as much hinge wood as I could with out all He77 breaking loose. I cut the smaller side of the back cut first and placed a wedge. I would have liked to leave more hinge wood here but I just plain and simply ran out of tree. I wanted my first wedge and then only wedge to be in semi-solid wood. Then I proceeded to the larger side with intentions of a second wedge. By the time I had enough room to set a wedge the trunk spilt vertically(which sent me exiting @ a 45):eek:uttahere: which is visible in one pictures of the tree. I returned to finish the backcut for a couple more inches to try and even my hinge wood. I cut a few more inches and decided to exit the scene with saw in tow. By the time I was at a safe distant the tree was beginning its decent. My plan was to give it a few taps with my felling axe, but this way worked better. Probably not the prettiest stump but there is only so much polish you can put on a turd. Hope you guys enjoy. Almost forgot I buck the wood into 16-20 foot lengths and haul it out with our Komatsu WA 120 and spilt all of my wood by hand with a Stihl maul. We do have a spilter and plenty of tractors, but I like the manual way better. Now hopefully I can figure out the picture posting.

Carlyle

ps. That is a neighbor that stopped out to see me in the tennis shoes, so please no flames :angry2:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sorry guys I have to learn how to embed the pictures Edit: I just figured it out!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Next time a couple comical tie downs around the trunk to help with splitting and a cable to one of your tractors. I did an ash just like that two years ago but it was 12’ from a garage and that is how I did it. Go buy a lotto ticket. I hope you had your hard hat on…

Good bit of firewood in that tree. Once thing nice about the rotten trees, is the great firepit left behind, those pits can burn for a week once they get going.

Hey, you got her down, nobody hurt, no collateral damage to the corn lot :) Sometimes some of those you can make the cut 4 or 5 ft up, then cut the stump off. That one, however, looks like the hollow/rot goes up to where a giraffe would have to saw.

Hey MJR,
I hear ya about the straps around the tree, but I have never been real fond of that method, maybe it is just me. The split was fairly small while standing and escalated with impact of the ground. I prefer to use rope over cable, if I were pulling something over. I have a big shot,Black Max bull line, Maasdam pow'R rope puller, blocks, etc. notice absent of a nervous guy in tractor that pops clutch on JD 8430 etc. when I am still cutting. I had some lean in the direction of fall as you can see from the first picture. I didn't need any more pull just more time to set the hinge. I think it went fine so no need for the lotto tickets. I have only bought one in my life and decided that I will make my own money/fate and yes I have full PPE right down to the kevlar underwear.:hmm3grin2orange:

I am thinking the rot was about 12-14 feet vertical, sorry I could have measured but it is all cut now. I did toss the butt log (10 feet) on a brush pile because of the ant damage. I am not a wasteful guy but it was junk.

Latest posts

Back