Rotting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerc

Reaction score
I have a oak (I believe a white oak) that is just over 4 feet circumferance at 5 feet off the ground. The tree is about 40 ft tall (maybe taller). The tree has a "hole" at the base of the truck that is about 3 feet tall from the ground up and goes into the probably a little more than half way. The wood is either rotting or is termite/insect infested (can't see any critters though). Is there anything I can do to make sure that the tree does not get any worse? Someone suggested filling the hole with concrete, but since it is caustic I was afraid it would damage the tree.

Thanks in advance
Rob Steele

In the past cavities were cleane of decayed wood and filled with concrete. The concrete gave way to expanding polyurethane foam about the time that some research was published showing that filling cavities frequently accellerated/increased decay. The current best advice based on science is to leave it alone. The tree should be evaluated for a potentially hazardous condition-if the failure risk is low then don't worry about it.:)

I will second stumper! The tree has dealt with the decay for now by walling off the "bad" wood from the healthy wood. You may break theat barrier if you try to remove the decay.

Second have the tree evaluated from risk. What may be the targets-house, street, etc.

Steele,

I would agree in-part with Stumper and Jay; however, more information about the cavity is needed.

How much sound rind wood is left in the tree.
How large of canopy, other health symptoms such as evidence of sap rots, root disturbance, soil conditions, etc.

Please for your peace of mind investigate or hire a qualified arborist/forester. To present you with the facts, so you can make an informed decision.

Back