Royal Palm issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpandroc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had a Royal for a 3 years now...Overall..its just ok..weathered a few Hurricanes...producing spears somewhat (not fast enough it seems)..its about 12-15ft high...

Never seemed to take off and have a nice big green canopy?...Like I said..just ok

Has had plenty of water this summer..I Lesco it every few months with the Pink bag Lesco Palm Fert from home depot..I hink its a K deficiency but I had put 2 bags of potash 2 months ago

I have noticed that the new fronds yellow pretty quick (a month or 2) and the tips brown as well..and just palinly look bad?

maybe it takes a while to recover...?...the plam never did look good after planing

Im not sure whats going on...any advice ?...I want that big green royal canopy I see even here in Pinellas County.

Am I losing this battle here?

pics at this link:

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1514;hl=lpandroc

Thanks again

Lance
Palm Harbor, FL

Lance,

There some issues to consider:

Pest and diseases
Soil conditions - Fertility, pH, Salt content, etc.

Before guessing, go to University of Florida Extension Service in your County and request a soil test and tissue analysis. Ask for fertility, salinity, and disease test. Sometimes they will run the tests for free.

Potassium could be the cause. Minor elements also play an important role. If your palm has been in the ground for some length of time, make sure you feed the minors.

Sometimes, White grubs (Phyllophaga sp) eat the roots of palms and cause their death. Check the crown-shaft, you may have borers.

What type of soil do yo have, sandy, loamy, clay?

How often do you water it and for how long? You may be over-watering....
or under-watering.

How deep you planted it?

There are a lot of variables to consider. My best advice ..go to the University of Florida Extension Service.

Good luck.

Jorge

If you go to the Extension Service, they will interpret the results for you.

Back