Royal Paulownia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryK

Reaction score
Thinking of planting some "Royal Paulownia" for shade.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks............

LarryK

True what JPS said , but i like the few i have where i work. they are just comming into bloom now . it you live in a neighborhood and you maintain your beds you shouldnt have the reseeding or invasiveness. I have also seen these trees used in a texture garden where you cut them to the ground every other year and you get 10 to 15 tall trees every year with 3ft wide leaves, that are awewsome . the young trees in some shade can have huge leaves. I myself wouldnt shy away from them at least in my area they are not that invasive. I have some that are 45 years old and on the edges of the woods i might have a dozen at the most .JPM

A pawlonia coppice, I've done it with aspen, willow, burr oak, box elder and a few others. The oak was my favorite. I would do it every spring and it came up like a bush.

But not as invasive as Tree-of-Heaven. They grow Paulownia as a crop tree on farms here in Virginia. Quick pulp wood.

I hate the smell of Ailanthus saplings, it makes me sick but i havent noticed that with the older trees . I have 3 Ailanthus trees that are at least 40 inches DBH and 60 ft tall , the 2nd largest in the state i think. Delaware has a book of big trees of all species and where i work we have several on that list . We have the largest black cherry in the state 73inch DBH. Anyway back to Paulownia, some people around here grow it for the valuable wood that is sold to japan for hope chest carvers. There have also been people arrested for going on to private or state land and cutting trees down to get the valuable wood.JPM

Back