RPM Varience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed something strange the other day with one of my saws, Husky141.
I was doing some yard clean up and noticed when the saw idles in the bucking position everything is fine but when I turn it 90 degrees to felling position (clutch side to ground) it picks up rpms. It does not start screaming, just idles faster than in the bucking position. I adjusted the carb a few times to no avail. Any suggestions why this is happening? Thanks!

Max said:
I noticed something strange the other day with one of my saws, Husky141.
I was doing some yard clean up and noticed when the saw idles in the bucking position everything is fine but when I turn it 90 degrees to felling position (clutch side to ground) it picks up rpms. It does not start screaming, just idles faster than in the bucking position. I adjusted the carb a few times to no avail. Any suggestions why this is happening? Thanks!

That could be a couple things both causing fuel to drop out of the flow.

First, it may be adjusted just a little fat, try leaning it a tad, what might happen is the engine will pick up a lot of speed if you do, then bring your idle down with the butterfly screw (idle speed screw)

The second is sort of a take off of the first, if you saw is idling with the butterfly slightly into the transfer slot of the carb, that will feed the engine course fuel and some of the bigger droplets will fall out of the flow, Intel you tilt the saw giving you erratic idles, also correctable by backing the idle speed screw out and the mixture screw in,,,,,, you want the butterfly right at the edge of the transfer slot, and just rich enough that the saw revs to life with a quick jab on the throttle.

Depending on how the carb is mounted on that saw, it coulb the the intake boot opening and closing a leak, with different forces on the motor mounts and then the boot.
If it were the low speed adjustment too rich, I'd expect the opposite reaction, a lessening of RPMs on movement.

Latest posts

Back