Running 3/8LP on 50cc 026. 8 pin 3/8 rim for small spline drum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So if I want to buy an 8 pin 3/8 sprocket (confirmed regular 3/8 will run 3/8LP in my last thread here: https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-3-8lp-low-profile-picco.336589/#post-7047816)

I can't even find one for the small 026 clutch spline drive.

The clutch drum on the 026 is a mini (rim sprocket has a 17mm minor ID). In other words the big 7/8 minor ID regular rims that you'd put on a big saw (038, 066, etc) do not run on this clutch. Is there a mini 3/8 - 8 tooth?

Since this is Low Profile chain, I'd like to speed it up a bit and better use the available power. 7T 3/8 Low Profile would be like running the saw without a bar.

Yes. I'll have to look at that.

EDIT: Googled and ebay searched and couldn't find such a part.

Thanks for the part number. I'm getting 7 tooth (vs the 8T I'm looking for) when I googled it.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the P-7 fits an 026 (small 17mm minor diameter). It looks like the P-8 has an even smaller internal minor diameter. I'm not familiar with all of the different clutch drums available to know what goes with what. I wish I could put a normal 7/8 spline clutch on the 026 and not have to worry about the small splines.

So if I want to buy an 8 pin 3/8 sprocket (confirmed regular 3/8 will run 3/8LP in my last thread here: https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...-3-8lp-low-profile-picco.336589/#post-7047816)

I can't even find one for the small 026 clutch spline drive.

The clutch drum on the 026 is a mini (rim sprocket has a 17mm minor ID). In other words the big 7/8 minor ID regular rims that you'd put on a big saw (038, 066, etc) do not run on this clutch. Is there a mini 3/8 - 8 tooth?

Since this is Low Profile chain, I'd like to speed it up a bit and better use the available power. 7T 3/8 Low Profile would be like running the saw without a bar.

An Oregon clutch drum for your saw uses a larger spline than the Stihl drum. You can see if Oregon has the sprocket you want to fit their drum.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the P-7 fits an 026 (small 17mm minor diameter). It looks like the P-8 has an even smaller internal minor diameter. I'm not familiar with all of the different clutch drums available to know what goes with what. I wish I could put a normal 7/8 spline clutch on the 026 and not have to worry about the small splines.

The one on the left was modded by SF to run on other drum. Read the thread link info is all there. ;)

So maybe the only way to do an 8 tooth is to change the clutch?

Latest posts

Back