running pumps in series on an owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Wise

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My taco pump is in the process of failing. It is not the 00 series with the replaceable cartridges and I have already changed the bearings once this year. It is equivalent to an 0013 but the only thing I could have by tomorrow was an 0011. This may be enough pump to work fine on my system but if it isn't can I install an 007 helper pump somewhere in the system?

I have an OWB and 2 pumps but they run 2 different lines. I only know enough about my system to be dangerous but my understanding is that it isn;t a good idea to run pumps in series. My understanding is that even if the pumps are the same size as they wear one could pump more than the other and this could cause one pump to "starve" for water. Not sure how true this is but it does make sense to me. I think I would get the pump I could now and install it to keep me warm, order the one I want and when it comes in then switch them out and keep the smaller one for a spare.
I also have 20 chainsaws because of this type of thinking so remember that too.

I've thought about running two pumps also. My pump is undersized and it would be a plus to not have the system go down when one pump goes out. Hopefully someone who has tried it will chime in. Thanks for the post.

I run two pump in series on my system. With saying that I do run primary, secondary system with exchangers. I run 450 feet from my Garn heat exchanger to my furnace heat exchanger so I thought I better use two pumps in series. I have lost one before and it still will heat but if it gets down to 0 you notice the flow is low. I have antifreeze in the line to the house with a pressure tank and the system runs at 20 psi. I actually have three sets of lines to my house set up this way as I have three furnaces.

One could make a parallel install with a ball valve on each branch to hook up one or the other pump on the line. Maybe a valve on each side of the pumps so one can be changed/serviced in no hurry. Just a thought that would make sense to me.

Motorsen

I'm pretty sure series pumping would be OK. Think some systems are set up that way, some with the second pump coming on only when it's needed - like when more flow & heat transfer is needed for whatever reason.

No direct experience in doing so though.

Not sure but maybe this will help you. These units are not really pumps but circulators. They act more like egg beaters than pumps.
I don't think it would hurt anything to run two in line but I don't think you would benefit from it.

Latest posts

Back