safety gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panama13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would anyone care to share with me, their opinion of, the minimum safety wear they would suggest when cutting wood for home winter supply?

Kevlar chaps seem like a good idea but I really don't know anything about it.

Thanks

The minimum? Hearing and eye protection. Next up would be chaps and steel toe boots.

Of course, you can have all this gear on and still get bloody without proper chainsaw training! :)

absolutely

Thank you, I should make sure the info I supply is complete before requesting opinions.
Chainsaw safe operation were the first thing I took care of -
unfortunately most folks here mostly think things like safety apparel are uneccesary.
I think they're very necessary.

A friend of mine cut his knee open yesterday afternoon with a chain saw. He wasn't wearing chaps or saw pants, the funny (sort of) thing is that he had been laughing at me for wearing saw pants and boots not to mention the "goofy looking" thing on my head.

The minimum? In my opinion that would be chaps (preferably the full wrap chap) steel toe boots and hard hat with eye and ear protection. I personally wear chain saw boots as well.

Gloves also come to mind, and are recommended in most manuals I have come across. Make sure your clothing is not loose as well lest it snag on machinery or branches. Helmet and shield should be augmented by ANSI/CSA approved safety glasses as well.

safety minimum

at a bare minimum, chaps, heavy leather boots(steel caps are a plus) ear protection, and eye protection. If you are falling the trees, a hardhat as well. Bill Jr

If I'm off base here, chime right in, but the previous reference to chaps was "kevlar." The preferred chaps, in my opinion, are the "ballistic" type, which don't have any kevlar in them. Rather, they have compressed weave nylon that flails when cut open, with the intent of clogging the saw and chain teeth in an effort to lessen injury.

Given that most saw accidents result from improper use, I would second the advice about training, and add that keeping the chain sharp to avoid forcing, and using wedges to keep from pinching the bar are two important safety related considerations.

Latest posts

Back