san francisco bans fireplaces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats how it starts... then its 40 then it 60 then its banned... what about all the other sources of pollution? busses, cars leaf blowers wild fires ect?

thats how it starts... then its 40 then it 60 then its banned... what about all the other sources of pollution? busses, cars leaf blowers wild fires ect?

exactly! Does the right to burn wood to heat your home with wood come before ________ (fill in blank with any pollution source)?

I wonder if CARB is responsible for this one too? They have the truckers in such an uproar. There isn't but one APU that currently passes their emissions standards out there. So many companies and drivers have torn California out of their atlas.

They think nothing of leaving a trucker sitting in the heat / cold to get his required 10 hours off duty, so why would they care about residents heating their homes?

There has to be a solution somewhere to all this mess, but CA is setting standards that there is no alternatives for at this point.

Yep. They start small and just keep nibbling away. People (most of them anyway) don't notice their liberties and freedom being taken away a small piece at a time. Try to take it away all at one time and there will be trouble.

Some people just want to be able to breath outside without falling over.
Note only 20 days of the year are expected to fall under the ban.

I like what the one fellow was pushing for.....only epa stoves allowed.(this option would also result in cleaner air on those days where the pollution level did not reach the ban level)

Everyone's right to breath comes before a wood heat users right to save money on home heating cost. Put on a sweater and use an extra blanket.

you mean the same people who complain about smoking, polution, fire place smoke, etc, yet jog daily down a busy highway along side cars and trucks?

or, those who ride bicycles "for their health" along busy highways too?

would those be the same "right to breath clean air" people?

you mean the same people who complain about smoking, polution, fire place smoke, etc, yet jog daily down a busy highway along side cars and trucks?

or, those who ride bicycles "for their health" along busy highways too?

would those be the same "right to breath clean air" people?

jogging and biking along a busy road... that's real healthy...

All of the SF bay area counties have had a wood burning appliance ban for 10+ years now. No new houses can have wood burning appliances, of ANY kind. Only pre-existing houses with fireplaces are grandfathered to have wood fires. Smoke is REALLY bad in the SF south bay area in winter. I had to run a HEPA filter when I lived there in winter for smoke, and ran it in summer for smog. Cough cough...

Unless you do what I did . . .argue for and receive a variance as I knew more about EPA stove emissions than the permit dept. for my municipality.

This is why I would never consider california as my home of residence. Too much dictating how I live. This is not the country and freedom that I fight for.

When there is a concentration of people burning wood it can get very smoky.

Many people have never experienced this in their sparsely popluated locations. I've experienced it on visits to more populated areas than my own.

That's why I choose to live in a place where it's not a concern. Also, wood can be burned fairly cleanly. I know a guy who runs a truck on the smoke of wood burning sood chips, leving vefy low emissions.

Here's what woodburners are up against;
http://burningissues.org/car-www/index.html

Last edited:
I know of 3 houses in a 3 block radius that burn wood in the wintertime (including mine). AFAIK, I am the only one with an EPA certified woodstove (the others are most likely open fireplaces). We don't need to burn 24/7 here.

Where the real problem occurs is in the Santa Cruz mountains to the south and west where older pre-EPA stoves are burned and the smoke blows over the valley (but really it is no worse than our normal smog days).

Back