sap runs on CA white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA arborista

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:newbie: I'm writing a report for a property owner who has a veteran CA white oak on their property line. The oak straddles 50-50 the neighboring line and is 1' within city easement. There is extreme crown die-back on the side corresponding with the line and the easement (street). I suspect (without seeing the schematics) that the major damage was done during constructions by trenching (utility box is at base of tree). In addition I observed clear sap runs from the branch union all the way down the trunk on the sides that have crown die-back. There were ants swarming all over the ground at the base of the tree. Are the sap runs from the ants? Bore beetle is common here in conifers and I have seen tracks in a sycamore but never in oak. Are the ants the cause?:newbie:

The sap is clear and not foamy?

Call 1-800-632-4949 to get the utilities located. If you are writing a report for hire you need to do more than guess.

Lots of CA law on shared trees. Read Merullo and Stamen.

Thank you, treeseer, for the phone number. It's a wonderful resource. The only other way that I knew to locate underground utilities was to call USA North to get utility clearance when we ground a stump .

Yes, the sap is clear and not foamy. It sparkles in the sunlight.

What are the plans for the tree, try to save or put it down? No matter what is done in my expierience it is best to get approval from all possible entities that may have interest in the tree such as the city. Sounds like root damage to me and very likely since most contracting agencies have no regard for trees and are oblivious to them in our area

Treeseer, the number you gave me is, apparently, for North Carolina and is the equal to USA North in northern California! Too funny!

Davey - yes! Just finished the report and this was the conclusion. I was abhorred to find that the city of jurisdiction doesn't have a tree preservation program. I recommended that the dead limbs be pruned to mitigate public hazard and liability and for the tree to be monitored for continuing decline and increasing hazard. I also recommended a discovery of the construction practices and an implementation of a policy that requires the oversight of construction sites.

In cases where a shared tree is being removed by our company we use a legal Release of Liability form. Good call!

Treeseer, the number you gave me is, apparently, for North Carolina ...I recommended that the dead limbs be pruned to mitigate public hazard and liability and for the tree to be monitored for continuing decline and increasing hazard. I also recommended a discovery of the construction practices and an implementation of a policy that requires the oversight of construction sites.
Sorry i thought the number was national. Good recommendations--now, how to get them followed?

Wish there were national standards!

Treeseer - good question. In this case the property owner is going to the city with the report so I knew that they would be reviewing my recommendations. An on site consulting arborist (Municipal Certified?) would only be another expense to the city. Unfortunately, I don't know if all us resource hogs are going to get it together to conserve anything. There's the whole way of looking at ourselves and our relationship to the universe and one another AND our willingness to change our way of living that is the problem. Saw a CNN report on the oil crisis and the upswing of demand by China, now adopting a Western lifestyle. Really depressing, kinda like seeing trees growing in a parking lot. :(

The Muni Cert test does not cover these situations, at least it didn't in 2005.

I would rather see trees growing through a parking lot than consumer mania spread like it is.

For a while I stopped buying anything made in China, but then I had to give that up.

Treeseer, I know what you mean about boycotting. We did that for awhile, too.

What certs apply to construction monitoring of protected trees? If I were to move in that direction with my certification, what would I do?

Have you seen the movie, "Apocalypto"? Director's naration was excellent in noting the Mayan exploitation of the forest to "heat the rocks, crush them and make it into a slurry" for construction. The consequences lead to famine and disease. It was catastrophic even in their micro-environment!

What certs apply to construction monitoring of protected trees? If I were to move in that direction with my certification, what would I do?
BCMA test has some on it. There is a huge void of public info on this topic. Get familiar with Stamen's CA law book and Trees and Development and you will be an authority.

Certs

Treeseer -

Sorry to have disappeared (maybe you've noticed that I do this). In reply to your reply -

What is the BCMA? I assume that the MA is Master Arborist. Is BC British Columbia? I'm still desirous of moving in this area.

Thanx for your help.

Latest posts

Back