Sapsucker in Cherry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosechuk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Arborists!

I have a sapsucker that has really nailed a little ornamental cherry tree at my home. I just bought this property so I am not sure how long this had been going on, but I did not remember seeing all of the holes and oozing sap when we were in the process of buying and inspecting the property. Looking around, I see the marks of sapsuckers ringing other trees, including a near dead pine tree right next to the cherry.

I saw the bird out there several days in a row, pounding away. There were also lots of flies and insects attracted to the sap. The holes totally ring the tree from about waist height up to the main junction of lower branches, about eye level.

I wrapped the tree in hardware cloth and burlap. I have seen the sap sucker back a couple times, but not as much. The tree is still oozing and there are some insects buzzing around. The leaves of the tree still seem ok.

The cherry tree is really nice, and I hope that it is not past the point of no return. What should I do for it?

Thanks in advance for any advice to save this tree!
John

Take the burlap and hardware cloth off and paint the holes with pine tar (available at any decent pharmacy). Do not put the burlap or hardware cloth back - the burlap will stay wet and becomes a vector for fungal diseases.

OK, I was wondering if I should have put some kind of tar on there. Will do. It wouldnt hurt to put the hardware cloth back up at least right?

I haven't seen the sapsucker around for a couple days now. Maybe he had moved South. I will stock up on some bb's too.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Not "some kind of tar" - PINE TAR - it tastes ghastly, that's why it works. Pine tar is a pharmaceutical ingredient and will not damage the tree: other kinds of tar can do damage.

What will hardware cloth do? Most sizes of the openings a bird's beak can go through.. Just another way to strangle the tree.

Thanks a lot for clarifying. Interesting why it works. I was assuming it worked to help the tree heal and stop leaking, not because of the taste.

I wonder what the heck pine tar is used for in a pharmacy!?

I did have the hardware cloth on loose, and was considering it temporary, but I hear you about strangling the tree, and will try Pine Tar alone! Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back