save a split japanese maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That worked....seeing the back side if it was my tree would be GOOD news. You can save that left limb likely if the correct procedure is taken which in my opinion would involve some pruning as the limbs do not appear to be in a position that would favor a cable support. Definitely a couple of through bolts should be involved.

Wish I could do the work.

Taking the wife out to dinner for her 60th. Good luck and it may to have a CA come in on that one. It couldn't cost very much esp. in the winter rates.

Last edited:
I wish you could do the work too! As it is, I've made another call to a local outfit, and will cross my fingers that I hear back.

Thanks again for the feedback, and happy 60th to your wife!

Jane

Jane, welcome to the site, but I am sure sorry to see your tree. Poor little guys are getting whipped this winter!

How big (in diameter) is this tree? And how cold has it been since the injury?

This is a SERIOUS injury to this little guy. I am going to relate some information and suggestions from my husband as well as myself. In David's opinion, there is a possibility (slight though it may be) of grafting the ripped limb back on. However, the union would have to be aligned perfectly, and wrapped with a vapor-proof barrier (such as Saran wrap) for a time. But to tell you the truth...this is a long shot.

At a minimum, in order to save the tree, you will need to bolt the two damaged portions together. An appropriate spot would be below the two branches where it appears almost as a "waist" as seen in your 4th picture (from the back).

This tree looks close to your house. Does it sit in an area where the snow slides off the roof? If so, and if the tree survives, I would highly recommend a snow break to preclude this happening again. You have said this tree suffered a rip before, so some extra care is going to be needed to keep it from self-destructing on a regular basis.

And that might require trimming, as TreeVet suggested. This tree is now one sided. Redirecting growth and stimulating new growth will be required. Unfortunately, the pictures don't show it completely enough to give any details.

TreeVet, David and I all agree that with a small tree like this, you have nothing to lose by trying to save it. This is not an expensive proposition, nor a risky one. So giving it your best shot would certainly be what we would be doing.

Good luck and hopefully someone can come out soon.

Sylvia

Thank you

Wow! So glad I found these posts. Seems like this last storm was bad for many Japanese Maples in Maryland. I have 2 small ones that are split, one worse than the other and I am hoping I can save them following this advice.

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the response

I would guess the tree is about 7 inches in diameter, although it's hard to tell now that such a major branch has broken away at the thickest part. The temperature has varied quite a bit since the break from the high twenties to mid-forties.

It hasn't been hit by any snow sliding off the house that I can tell.

I actually got someone to return my call, and he's going to come out on Wednesday to take a look at it as well as look at my Leyland's that are down. If the Japanese Maple can't be saved, I'll be pained, but will start looking for something to replace it that might withstand our weather a little better.

Jane

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd let you all know that the tree doc just left with his crew and my Japanese Maple is on the mend...hopefully. I've added new photos of the end result for anyone interested.

He did use one small cable, a bolt and all the other stuff you see. He also gave it a good pruning.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=56004&id=1188306532&l=0c177b2c84

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Jane

Last edited:
Looks like a man that knows what he is doing and well equipped. You did good Jane Gilbert! Can we see a few picts of the end product?

Absolutely. I'll post photos as the year progresses. He said the damage was bad and he couldn't guarantee it would be ok, but at least he gave it a chance.

my guess is it will certainly survive that but the question is in what form and another problem with Jap maples is sunscald when the canopy is suddenly opened.

This thread is exactly what I was looking for.

One question though. In searching I have found recommendations to use Gorilla Glue in the center of the split is advisable as long as it is not applied to the cambium.

Advisable?

Well I installed three rods today so I guess I'll wait and see what the spring brings. Are the bolts considered permanent and remain for the life of the tree?

Last edited:
hey to save the tree, you have to fix the two damaged portions together from the least point. the upper portion which you have tied will not join together with the rope but it can stop the tree from further damage. i really appreciate the work you have done if you are not getting the things done on your own contact a professional otherwise it will hurt you. take help of some more persons.

I have a small mounding Japanese Maple which was damaged by our recent massive snow storm in the midatlantic. There is a large split right at the crown (?) of the tree and one of the three primary branches was splitting off too. I don't know when the split occurred - sometime between Feb 6 and yesterday when i uncovered the tree.

See pictures before and after the 'repair' i made today. I used cotton rope (might be sash cord), and wound it VERY tightly. The split at the top is pulled nearly completely together, but as you can see from the pics, there's still a little 'crack' showing. I don't think I can pull it together any tighter. Do you think what i've done is good or do I need to adjust, use different materials, or try a different method?

Thanks for any advice you can give. We've had this tree for 5 years, and it's been in it's current location for the past four years. It is pretty well established.
-Chris

Picasa Web Albums - Chris Becker - Split Japanes...

The tree is probably well and healthy by now but one thing I would want to mention is about dressing or painting the wounds. With pruning paint or dressing the wound, studies have shown that these activities don't really increase the rate of healing. However they do make it look good sometimes and prevent the tree from drying out.

Well I installed three rods today so I guess I'll wait and see what the spring brings. Are the bolts considered permanent and remain for the life of the tree?

Here is some of what I did. I needed to go back and use washers because the split kept opening as the nuts were countersinking themselves. Also used wire where I cold.

IMG_5414_zpsb683ccb8.jpg

IMG_5409_zpsdbbc9464.jpg

And here is one and two months later
IMG_5416_zps8b9fc5b1.jpg

IMG_5449_zps1a0ccf8f.jpg

Thanks again for helping a newbie out.

Latest posts

Back