Beni Kawa Japanese Maple / damage & graft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Freddy

Reaction score
hello all ...in an odd and very high mph wind storm here on Whidbey Island in the Pac, our Beni Kawa Japanese maple suffer a section of trunk / branch getting torn off, I removed the biggest section and then reattached (grafted if you will) with multiple zip ties ....I am being told it will need a stainless bolt thru the trunk just at or below the high split area but I need to know if this needs to be a lag bolt (ie: drill a smaller pilot hole and then drive the bolt thru utilizing the threads to pull the 2 split sides together or use a threaded bolt with nut and washers on both ends ? I would assume the correct sized lag bolt cutting thru the trunk wood tightly would be best path, but I have never done this before so all advice / insight / feedback appreciated .....THANK YOU

Attachments

• 0-7 copy.jpeg
    0-7 copy.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-1 copy 4.jpeg
    0-1 copy 4.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-2 copy 2.jpeg
    0-2 copy 2.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-8 copy.jpeg
    0-8 copy.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
Not much weight involved here. 3/16 threaded rod stainless or brass with nuts and washers will work. I would look to install two one above and one below the crotch, not parallel on the same plane.
Remove all those zip ties before bud break next spring.

hello again ....update on my BeniKawa jap maple graft after wind storm break, see pics, the section that I reattached seems to've not done well / taken, the main trunk sections never developed their full winter red color and the tips of the branches of the side I reattached are showing no new Spring bud growth like the dark red healthy branches ....not sure what I should do next ?? all insight & assist appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• 0-6.jpeg
    0-6.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-5.jpeg
    0-5.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0-2.jpeg
    0-2.jpeg