Japanese Maple Broken Limb - Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japmapleman

Reaction score
Ok,
I'm new to this forum , this is my first post, but I have gotten the Japanese maple bug and have recently purchased a few. TODAY, I bought a Crimson Queen, 3-1/2 ' tall. The trunk is about like a golfball, maybe larger. I'd say 1-3/4" dia. The kid at the nursery (2 hrs. away) loaded the tree in the back of our suv. When I got home, I discovered that in loading, the top fork of the tree broke!!! It dangled down and when I tried to ease it up, the small remainder snapped completely loose!! :jawdrop:

This is a NEW break. Each side of the fork is approximately nickel diameter. The fork itself has a slight twist to it. The part that broke off was the part that was upright, the other , attached, side of the fork turns horizontal and then weeps downward.

Given that this is a NEW break, is there any chance it can be grafted back??????

I know the kid broke it , but I didn't notice it at the time. By the time I got home, the nursery was closed for the day. I have a feeling they're going to think I'm lying and refuse to help. This tree was $324.47 and looks plum ugly without this limb.

This is more of a split than a break.What should I do??????????? Can I screw it together?? Thanks for any help/advice!!

- james

Latest posts

Back