Problem with the bark of a Japanese Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Dugan

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a Japanese Red Maple tree that we planted a couple of years ago and as the tree is getting larger, we noticed a section a little less than an inch or so wide and six inches long where there is no bark growing and you can sort of see "into" the trunk of the tree. It was very small when we planted the tree, but as I said, as the tree is getting bigger it's becoming very noticeable. Can anyone please tell me what, if anything, can or needs to be done about this. Thanks a lot.

attachment.php

It appears as though the tree is taking care of the damage from a few years back on its own.

It lived through the damage initially. Now it is forming a callous to cover the wound. Just about anything you do to it wont be better then letting it heal in its own way, in its own time.

If you want instant results replace the tree.

It appears as though the tree is taking care of the damage from a few years back on its own.

It lived through the damage initially. Now it is forming a callous to cover the wound. Just about anything you do to it wont be better then letting it heal in its own way, in its own time.
Totally agree.

How far down is the first major root? You should be able to see it near the surface.

Thank you both very much for the replies. Do you think maybe I should at least put some wrapping around the area? If you look at the right side of the wound you see that the bark is really pealing off around the wound and I was worried that might make the tree more vulnerable to disease or insects (or something).

Also, do you think over time that it will close up or heal over completely? You can see the white wood from inside the tree (my neighbor says it's called heart wood) and I thought that being exposed like that for the life of the tree might make it very weak in that spot.

treeseer, the first root is about a foot down from where the wound is. Thanks a lot.

Thank you both very much for the replies. Do you think maybe I should at least put some wrapping around the area? If you look at the right side of the wound you see that the bark is really pealing off around the wound and I was worried that might make the tree more vulnerable to disease or insects (or something).

Also, do you think over time that it will close up or heal over completely? You can see the white wood from inside the tree (my neighbor says it's called heart wood) and I thought that being exposed like that for the life of the tree might make it very weak in that spot.

treeseer, the first root is about a foot down from where the wound is. Thanks a lot.

Anything I know of that you might put on it or wrap it with will only hold moisture in the wound and block out sunlight. Fungus and bacteria thrive in a warm, moist, dark enviroment. It will close up and cover the wound with a callous on it's own. It looked dry in your photo and was getting plenty of sun. From what I see, everything is in its favor to survive this.

The bark is pealing off faster on the right side because of the rapid growth going on under it. Its normal for it to do this. That rapid growth is what will eventually cover the damage.

Curiously, how close is it to your driveway ?

Mine is 25 feet from my drive and my (then) wife somehow managed to take out a similar gash with my car in a fit of anger. That has been years back. The tree is intack but the wife got her walking papers.

KsWoodsMan,

Thanks for the info and positive outlook for the tree. I'll just leave it be and hope for the best.

Regarding the driveway, the tree is in the backyard so there's no chance for car damage. It came this way from the farm - it had wrapping on the trunk (we couldn't see the cut when we bought it) and the damage was very small but grew larger as the tree got bigger. I think it's just the result of overzealous pruning at the farm.

Sorry about the ex :(, but one door closes and another one opens :) .

KsWoodsMan,

Thanks for the info and positive outlook for the tree. I'll just leave it be and hope for the best.

Regarding the driveway, the tree is in the backyard so there's no chance for car damage. It came this way from the farm - it had wrapping on the trunk (we couldn't see the cut when we bought it) and the damage was very small but grew larger as the tree got bigger. I think it's just the result of overzealous pruning at the farm.

Sorry about the ex :(, but one door closes and another one opens :) .

I'll have to take a camera to work next week, if I can find the cable to it and post a pic of one that is nearly identical and almost completely closed over.

If it came from the farm that way it was probably improperly handled by partime help and skinned as the root ball was pulled off a tailgate. Regardless of how it happened it did.

Thanks for the condolenses for the ex I'm not sweating it. What's mine is mine and will now stay that way.

Back