Save my box elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warailroader

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We had a recent ice storm and a major branch of our box elder broke off from the trunk. Now there is a 4" wide x 12" long scar running down the trunk of the tree (see the attached photo).

What can I do to help save this tree.

Thanks!!

Is that a scar at the base as well? Can we get a shot of that as well as 90 degrees from your picture? I am not sure it is worth saving.

Last edited:
Seeing the new pics, I will say it again. Cut it down and plant another tree. That tree is only gonna get bigger, all the weight leans torwards your house, and after all it is just a box elder

box elder

cut it down !!! not only is it a garbage tree ( less desirable ) It is totally screwed . start over.

Being far from an expert here ... but if that tree was in my front yard, with the damage, and lean towards the house, I'd cut it down too. Seems to me it won't survive long anyway.

Boxelders are very weak trees and not recomended to be planted where there is a target, that can be damaged by tree failure, also they grow naturally along the banks of rivers and steams so they thrive and propulate in wet silty soils requiring supplemental water when planted in drier,and compacted soils in resedential areas, they also have a tendencey to have weak branch structure with many high v or codomenent stems, prone to failing as yours did, in many states they are viewed as a weedy species, inviting insects to the area which harm more valuble maple cultivars, here are a couple of links, the first is on hazard trees, scroll down to "a cecklist to preventing hazard trees" and the second is selecting good nursery stock in trees and early care.

Storms- Chapter 3 appendix: How to Recognize- and Prevent- Hazard Trees

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/resources/TreeSelection.pdf

hope this is helpful in makeing an informed decision,
Paul

221825d1328404763-dsc00863-800x600-jpg

In the near future the left fork will need to be removed and then what do you have? Cut it down and replace it with a decent tree that you can enjoy.

Around here, people love cutting the female, seed bearing boxelder trees. Get rid of them!

No offense, but cut that thing down and paint the flush cut stump with Tordon, or dig it up.

Then plant something that wont cause you angst, worry and cost you $$ later on.

The things are nasty, and break easy. They also draw some nasty bugs that are a PITA.Boxelder bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you save the thing, you'll be picking chunks of the thing off your car or house later.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back