Saving a Senior Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast*st

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've done some groundcrew work during the summers and on my own have slowly taken up rope climbing, its really great exercise! I have a dilemma, I've recently built a new shed for my folks out of a half dozen standing dead white pines, its really sharp looking so far. Between the shed and the house is a big monster of a nice looking white pine. I spotted some dead black ants on the new deck, like the fell from above. This big pine is about 30-34 dbh, I've not climbed it yet, too damned chilly and breezy. About 20-30' up there is a split in the bark, it could be lightning damage, the backside of the tree has some wood pecker holes and such at about 6' high, small 1/2 to 3/4 holes and some sawdust on the ground.

I want this tree to live, its big and awesome looking. I've searched the forums and haven't found a good decisive answer as of yet. The tree looks to be about 130 feet tall and has the usual dead branches beneath the crown. I'd love to rope up to the top and come down, properly pruning the dead branches (leaving the collar) and shoring up any bark damage on the way down.

So I'm expecting to see borer holes, some loose bark around the lightning strike damage area, maybe some bugs and ants, woodpecker damage.

The crown is nice and green and it didn't drop early last year, the tree looks healthy and is big enough to cleave the house in half. I want it to grow bigger and stronger.

What about using a varnish, pinesap and alcohol to treat the borer holes?
aerobic? anerobic? what about insta foam, it breaks down in sunlight and doesn't soak up water and sticks to wood really well. Someone mentioned an oil, eucalyptus ?

I'll go to great extent to save this senior pine.

-Jason

Back