saw builder for Dozer Dan saw repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Carl and Kevin are in the minority of good builders. And in the very, very small minority of good builders who do not have massive egos!!!

Back when I was a mod here we had several people PM the site owners about issues with a few of the "well known" builders who may or may not have been sponsors......we are talking first hand folks getting screwed over, not someone's neighbor's brother's cousin's uncle like some of the stories that circulate. They had seen other people voice concerns about said builders only to be cut to shreds by the "groupies". Unlike some folks, Darin took the high road and worked things through PM. He didn't throw out a smear campaign like these other knuckleheads (including a few of the guilty parties) like to do to their perceived competitors.
You've been in the sandbox about twice as long as I have Steve. I don't doubt what you say one bit. I've learned to take things around here with a grain of salt. The things I heard about Jim were echoed by customers.

You've been in the sandbox about twice as long as I have Steve. I don't doubt what you say one bit. I've learned to take things around here with a grain of salt. The things I heard about Jim were echoed by customers.
I agree....the reports we received were from firsthand customers as well.

Well, my experience with Jim wasn't the nightmare some others seem to have had.
A bit flakey? Yup, but a nice enough guy and both saws eventually turned out great.
The saws I've seen on video do appear to be runners. I'd just hate to see someone have a bad experience that I could help avoid.

There is a long list of builders/porters that have gone bad, its due diligence to ask questions before sending off expensive saws to just anybody, especially those that advertise over the net. There are many trustworthy porters on here and elsewhere that have solid reputations, ask around before jumping into the fire.

Damn, those guys are brutal over there.
nahh not really, doesnt seem unreasonable when a builder donates a rebuild to a raffle and then doesnt return the saw, or the NOS parts donated by other members. that was just one of the nails in jims coffin. had he just communicated a little bit better, and just sent the **** back, it wouldve blown over. getting belligerent while holding another persons property that you VOLUNTEERED to rebuild? he deserves several orders of magnitude beyond a few people ******** on the internet.

nahh not really, doesnt seem unreasonable when a builder donates a rebuild to a raffle and then doesnt return the saw, or the NOS parts donated by other members. that was just one of the nails in jims coffin. had he just communicated a little bit better, and just sent the **** back, it wouldve blown over. getting belligerent while holding another persons property that you VOLUNTEERED to rebuild? he deserves several orders of magnitude beyond a few people ******** on the internet.
In those cases they totally deserve everything they received. But we know there’s been more than one witch hunt too lol.

He didn't throw out a smear campaign like these other knuckleheads (including a few of the guilty parties) like to do to their perceived competitors.
im done stickin up for individual builders, and am not interested in the drama that seems to follow some people, and im not sure if you mean the thread regarding “larry”, but the reason for that thread was so that people who searched for larrys wacky worksaws, saw the thread on a google search, and would hopefully learn that that person is currently in possession of several thousand dollars worth of other peoples stuff. period. hopefully they learn it before they send their $1000 saw to him and never hear from him again. one mans smear campaign is another mans PSA lol.

Well, my experience with Jim wasn't the nightmare some others seem to have had.
A bit flakey? Yup, but a nice enough guy and both saws eventually turned out great.
im not sure what jims program is, and he turned out a fair few good running saws and seemed to have some pretty interesting ideas. ive heard it said plenty of times: porting a chainsaw is easy, standing by your word is hard (at least for some people...)

Screw it, I'll just start doing the **** myself:cool:.
Zackly why I do my own stuff. Lol

Rattler 288 cylinder is the only work I've had done by another builder (aside from machine work before I bought a lathe) and I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Mike does fantastic port work and he's a top notch guy.

Zackly why I do my own stuff. Lol

Rattler 288 cylinder is the only work I've had done by another builder (aside from machine work before I bought a lathe) and I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Mike does fantastic port work and he's a top notch guy.
randy did a 288 for me a few years ago and it was a great saw, it has since moved on to another member. i just figured i could buy my own mc182 for the cost of a port job, and then i could butcher as many of my own saws as i wanted lol.

randy did a 288 for me a few years ago and it was a great saw, it has since moved on to another member. i just figured i could buy my own mc182 for the cost of a port job, and then i could butcher as many of my own saws as i wanted lol.
Same here I'd rather put money into tooling up my own shop. There's some great builders out there though. Kevin and a couple Randy's have helped me out a lot with this stuff.

Back