Saw Cases

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky's power box looks nice but I'm too cheap to spend 40+ bucks on a case

View attachment 88246

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=88246&stc=1&d=1233175982

Yea, I've got one of these for my 353. It is a very nice case and works well. The problem is that the 385XP is too tall for the case and the top won't close.

In the spirit of A/S I did do a case "mod" on an old Craftsman clamshell case. I cut a hole in the top for the 385XP handle. It looks a little goofy, but it sort of works.

My biggest complaint is that most saws leak a little bar/chain oil, and the case does a great job of spill containment. I also like to have a couple of handy tools, oil, spark plug, chains, etc. in the case.

I know that a lot of folks here on A/S think that its silly to put a saw in a case. Well, I'm a little bit picky about stuff like that. My tools go in the tool box; my truck goes in the garage; my saws need to go in a case. Just the way I am.

JQ

Yea, I've got one of these for my 353. It is a very nice case and works well . . .

My biggest complaint is that most saws leak a little bar/chain oil, and the case does a great job of spill containment. I also like to have a couple of handy tools, oil, spark plug, chains, etc. in the case.

I know that a lot of folks here on A/S think that its silly to put a saw in a case. Well, I'm a little bit picky about stuff like that. My tools go in the tool box; my truck goes in the garage; my saws need to go in a case. Just the way I am. JQ

+1

Philbert

+2
I want me stuff to be in exactly the same "ready to go" condition when I pick it up as it was when I last set it dowm. For me, that means "in a case".

Mine are REALLY expensive but hold the saw, bar oil, a few extra chains, filing junk & small tools... keeps water out/sorta, lets me unload all my junk to the basement in one trip, keeps peepers from spotting my saw in back of the truck. Easy to transfer all my **** to tractor/atv in one fell swoop.

1) Buy one appropriatley sized Rubbermaid tub.
2) cut a slot for the bar/scabbard to pass through- not to the top just enough for the scabbard.
3) cut chunk of carpet/sleeping pad foam/ closed cell foam, etc for bottom
4) use bungee to hold lid on.

Maybe 10.00 tops?? Been using them for sometime with no problemo.

2Door

Mine are REALLY expensive but hold the saw, bar oil, a few extra chains, filing junk & small tools... keeps water out/sorta, lets me unload all my junk to the basement in one trip, keeps peepers from spotting my saw in back of the truck. Easy to transfer all my **** to tractor/atv in one fell swoop.

2) cut a slot for the bar/scabbard to pass through- not to the top just enough for the scabbard.

2Door

Just picked up a Large tub for PPE, Helmet, Shield, Ear Plugs, Pants. Put Bar oil in it, Fuel mix, etc and then a smaller one inside it for tools, chains, files.
Still evolving. Will have to pick up another one for Saw & Bar and due Mod. Will be able to get smaller one to get the job done.:chainsaw: Then just grab fuel, load and go.
P1220066.jpg

I would like to know where to find a scabbard for longer bars? I can only seem to find ones for 24" and under. Doesnt work very well for a 28" or 32" bar.

Ask your local volunteer fire house or someone you no there for a piece of 3" hose. typically they will have a section that has been damaged laying around. 9 times out of 10 they have done the same. cut to what ever length you need.

I have two of the older Husky cases and my Husky 44 fits very well in one but my Husky 359 I had to cut one of the walls out where the back of the handle goes and I have to have the chain brake engaged for the cover to close.I think I paid $35.00 for both,paint was alittle fadded on them.I did have my Husky 266se in the 359 case and it fit perfect.I tried my Stihl 026 in the case and it was a real tight fit,longer than the 44.

I would like to know where to find a scabbard for longer bars? I can only seem to find ones for 24" and under. Doesnt work very well for a 28" or 32" bar.

You would think that this would be another 'no-brainer' for one of the saw companies or an after market vendor ('HINT - HINT') to make. Just make it 36" or 48" and let people cut it down to whatever size they want.

I have tried gluing the multi-piece STIHL scabbard together, wiring them together, etc. Lived with part of the bar/chain exposed. Not acceptable.

Was planning on making some for the 36" bars with thin plywood and wooden spacers - did this for a hedge trimmer. Or might try using some the PVC siding/trim materials ( e.g. http://www.azek.com/ )

Philbert

Good idea...

2Door

I may have to do this on Saturday! Thanks for the idea.

Lowes....$12.99. Use your own scabbard and cut a hole in the front for it to slip thru. This size fits my 064 well except for the chain brake will have to have a small slit in the lid to close it all the way. These boxes are very HD . The flat top makes a nice place to work on saws and such. They will even stack up in the truck or garage. they do have a larger size as well. WDO

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

Thought about making one out of plywood. Made enough of those for smaller things to know it will be entirely too heavy.

Use a ratcheting cargo bar like other mentioned.

Do mean to get a 24" scabbard from Madsen's soon along with a short list of other goodies.

I use a 30cal ammo box for the "others". You can fit a handful of files, guides, gloves, earplugs, scrench, carb screwdriver, rags, 4-gallons worth of 2-cycle oil and a can of PB Blaster in there.

----------Cargo Bar-------------
Gas/Chainsaw/Box/Oil
-----------Tailgate---------------

When the bed's full of wood oil and gas each get a corner, the box ends up wherever it ends up and the chainsaw gets wedge safely with the bar in the wood and the head where I can keep an eye on it from the cab.

Not ideal, but it's how I go.

I always take the long bars off. Too much chance for bending something. Take a piece of 4x4, use a plunge router to make a slot for the bar to sit in. take a 2x4 and do the same. Sandwiches the bar (or bars). I use some hardware store clamps like you see on toolboxes to hold them together. You can even put a couple dowels in it so the top doesn't swim around on the base. Works great.

Husky has 28" bar covers, part no. 501 83 4504...$7.00

+2
I want me stuff to be in exactly the same "ready to go" condition when I pick it up as it was when I last set it down. For me, that means "in a case".

+3 The anal german in me requires this; oh yeah, they've all usually been cleaned.

2Door

I've got one! Of course, I swear I''m the Rubbermaid Rough Tote King:greenchainsaw:

The problem is, when I go to the hills, I often bring 3-4 of my vintage saws, and that many Rough Totes take up a lot of space in the truck with all my other paraphenalia........

I'm thinking about building a bunch of plywood boxes........

Casey

Latest posts

Back