Saw chain recommendations for Stihl 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Log Hogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To begin with, this forum rocks. I got into chainsaws 5 years ago, and thanks in a large part to this forum, my saws are well maintained and sharp enough to produce thick, long shavings (1-2+ inches) when cutting poplars and soft maple.

I use chainsaws for firewood production, and an 18" bar is plenty long for 90% of the trees on my property. Until recently, I used an 028 Wood Boss, but that died so I'm moving up to the only other saw available to me: an 066. This is a like-new saw, purchased by my father for saw milling, but mostly unused. Being of slight build, I'd prefer to buy something easier to handle, but the 066 will have to do for now, and anyways it's a great rush to use such a beast. I'm starting with an 18" bar because I'm used to that length on my WoodBoss.

What's a good chain for an 066? My requirements are:

- Low kickback. This 066 scares me. I want a safe chain, at least while I'm getting used to the saw.

- Good for dirty cutting. I process lots of wind-falls, so I think I need either a chipper or a semi-chisel chain. With my 028 I sharpened on every refueling.

My setup: 8 tooth rim sprocket, 3/8" pitch, 18" Stihl Rollomatic E bar, .050" gauge, 66 links.

So far I'm looking at Oregon chains for their great value. I like the Super 70 (72LP) for it's anti-kickback ramped depth gauges, but as far as I can tell, it's a round-ground, full chisel chain. Oregon's online guide only recommends the Super 70 (72LP), Super Guard (72LG), and Vanguard (72V) for my setup, all of which are chisel chains as far as I can tell. They do make a 3/8" semi-chisel chain, the S-70 (72DP), but I don't know if it will work on my setup, and I can't find it for sale anywhere either. Oregon really hypes the Vanguard, but it's suffered a lot of criticism on this site judging by the archives. Anyone have anything good to say about it since Oregon redesigned it? Are any other brands competitive with the Oregon chains in terms of value? WoodsmanPro makes a semi-chisel chain (30SC) for the same price as the Oregon chains - is this a good chain?

Baileys seems to have the best saw chain prices as far as I can tell, anyone know of other good sources for chainsaw paraphernalia?

Log Hogger said:
. ... They do make a 3/8" semi-chisel chain, the S-70 (72DP), but I don't know if it will work on my setup ....
It surely will!

As I read your post, Stihl chain is more or less out of the picture.

Then my suffestion is Oregon LP for clean wood, and DP for dirty wood (and stump cutting).

Stihl RSC3 is allmost a clone of Oregon LP, but with thicker chrome and harder steel. It may hold its edge a bit better in dirty wood, but that is semi-chisel territory anyway....

I have no experience with Carlton/Woodsmanpro.

Personally, my choise would bee Stihl RSC for clean wood, and RM ( RMC when it appears in 3/8") for dirty wood - as with my 361. :heart:

woodfarmer said:
this has to be the first time i've seen a stihl user want oregon chain, if the 066 scares you the chain ain't gonna make a difference, sell it to me and get yourself a nice little 036

Lol. I should add that this 066 is temporary, until I fix the 028. Gotta find a used 028 with a nice jug.

Yeah I suppose it's strange wanting to save a few bucks on chain for a $1000 saw, but the saw was bought by my dad, who likes to spend money, and I'm the one using the saw...

How much difference will I notice between the chisel and semi-chisel?

Any opinions on the WoodsmanPro 30SC?

Any other opinions?

Well I'm leaning towards the WoodsmanPro (Carlton) 30SC semi-chisel for all around usage, based on price and resistance to dirty cutting conditions. With the power of the 066, I figure I should be able to tear into any trees in my area, even with semi-chisel.

My experience has been that with chisel, even a touch of dirt on the bark renders the chain too dull to cut. I just realized this, as I thought I had been using Oregon semi-chisel, but was in fact using some Oregon chisel chain. I think I got about 2 minutes of ferocious sawing, and then it sucked.

Anyone have any opinions on the Carlton chain?

Latest posts

Back