Saw chain. What does everyone use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everybody just putting this out there to get some good info. I've noticed on this site if you put a topic out there and let people battle it out you bet good information. So here it is. I'm running Windsor full chisel. What do you run and why. GO!!!! :hmm3grin2orange:

mostly stihl chain

Prefer still chain over other brands ,local shops charge the same no matter what brand
Stihl......RMC and RSC
Carlton .....semi-chisel
Oregon ......super-chisel

Last edited:
Used to be I wouldn't have an oregon chain in the yard. Lately however they seem to be a lot better. They sharpen nicely too.

Stihl RSC does stay sharp longer however.

I am going to try some of the woodland pro semi chisel from Baileys if they ever get some in stock. I cut a lot of dirty wood.

Lately it's been a mix of everything: stihl rsc, TOTAL (=windsor?=oregon???), Husqvarna (oregon), Oregon LGX, LPX.

The oregon stuff is softer but it's so easy to touch up than its hard to even dislike it for this reason. It sharpens so well and doesn't kill the file either. I've moved away from the woodland pro, most of the time it's hard as heck to sharpen and doesnt seem to have wonderful stay sharp abilities.

Also I favor oregon, its derivatives, and stihl because they have a comfort chassis which reduces vibration.

I usually run rsc or lgx but I am going to buy a spool of full skip soon the fewer cutters the faster the sharpen ya know. It will still be pro chain none of the non kickback stuff for rope.

I have some Stihl, but mostly Carlton/Woodland Pro. The Carlton is nearly as good as the Stihl, the price is right, and it cuts well out of the box in my experience though many disagree with that. Never run Windsor. Keep the Oregon for dirty cutting. I can't keep it sharp very long anyway...

We run alot of Woodland Pro, cost half of Stihl, when you have hired hands running saws they don't care about rocking them, they just slap another chain on because they know it's there.

When in a bind I buy Stihl RSC, it think it is the best chain I've used, don't care for Oregon chain at all it seems soft, dosen't last as long.

Stihl Square ground half skip prolly switch to full comp when this roll runs out tho. Side by side comparison in 36" Doug fir sold me. I also have a silvey Razursharp II grinder so number of cutters not a big deal.

Oregon is the most advanced chain,sthil has a dedicated following and carlton is a good older design.The hardness is about the same,the stihl has a very precise but thicker chrome than the oregon,and the carlton has a thicker but less precise chrome ..
windsor falls in there about even between current carlton and much older oregon.
As far as semi round square skip semi skip and chipper depends on what and where you cut.
These are my own opinions and have little to do with how things really are.

This time of year my local True Value store which is also a Stihl dealer runs a coupon in the local paper, 50% off any item $50 dollars or less. I can get a loop of RSC 72 DL, 3/8ths, .050 for $13.04 including tax. Its $24 plus @ regular price. I got 8 loops last year and on my way to that many more this year. Newspapers are cheap, 50 cents a copy. This is the only time I buy Stihl chain. Oregon LGX and LPX work just fine for me. I dont think the Stihl is way better than Oregon but if its cheaper, I can stand to use it. REJ2

Latest posts

Back