Saw Dies After Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 7900 recently started dying as it returns to idle after a cut, sometimes. It seems to be tuned pretty well, per Madsens. SEARCH didn't answer the question so I'm asking - what might be going on?

Juan D, I need more info about the saw how old? How much run time? Has it been used regularly or has it been in storage? Is the gas fresh, what mix? And where is Around do you have a local dealer?

Scott

Ok, some more info:

Saw is an older (2yrs or so) red-cover saw, has seen maybe 5 tanks in the past month/50 in its lifetime, and runs 93 octane/Echo semi-synthetic at 40:1 (never more than 2 weeks old). Saw runs great, but it occasionally when I let of the throttle after a cut it just dies. Other times it does not. Otherwise it idles well (maybe a bit slow, definitely not fast/lean), revs up perfectly, and runs at WOT in and out of the cut perfectly. I think that the tuning is right on, but if anything, the saw may be a bit rich.

No local dealer that actually has saws/parts/knowledge; even if there were, I'd prefer to figure this stuff out myself if possible...

when it "just dies" how does it restart? do you have to let it cool off? Or will it just restart? Might be a defective switch killing the ignition if it acts like you turned it off. Does it require choke to restart or is it flooded?

Scott

Low adjusted too rich?

I had one that did that. I adjusted the low down a little.

Think about it like this, From WOT finishing a cut, then the throttle snaps shut. Engine Engine then develops maximum vacuum pulling hard on the carb. With the low set rich it really gets a slug of fuel.

I have been wrong before.

-Pat

Latest posts

Back