Saw dies unless it stays primed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost makes me cry reading what happened to the guy hope he is ok 2150 poulan i bet i know why it wont run for him check the intake on the cylinder side make sure it is not loose
should be two bolts going into the cylinder if they are loose that is why it wont start and stay running

as for the plastic choke button if you need one let me know i have tons of parts here and since this guy is a senior citizen i will be glad to send him a free choke rod for that 2150 just to help him out

calvin

Thanks, Calvin, but I think it is taken care of. I appreciate it, though.:cheers:

Update

I made sure the fuel hoses were correct. I pressure tested the saw. No leaks on pressure, but I was in a hurry, so I forgot to do a vac test!:cry:
Compression is 160 lbs.

I have to set the L and H screws WAY out for the saw to run. When I rev it up, it only gets about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle(it sounds like it is way too rich). So, when I screw the H in, all of a sudden it dies, like it is starved for fuel.

L screw is about 2.5 turns out and if I go in, it bogs when I give it throttle.

Fuel lines and filter are new. Needle and diaphram are,too.

So, seal leak that only shows on vac or something in the carb?

Double Check

Check the impulse passage through the intake block with a wire and then blow out with compressed air.

The fire may have melted the plastic and closed the impulse hole.

Also check the impulse passage in the carburetor to make sure it is clear.

Check the impulse passage through the intake block with a wire and then blow out with compressed air.

The fire may have melted the plastic and closed the impulse hole.

Also check the impulse passage in the carburetor to make sure it is clear.

Checked and cleaned. Still needs over 2 turns(L jet) on low to start. As I turn L to 1 turn, it revs quite high. I have the idle screw all the way out and it still is too fast. No leak on pressure or vac. The saw slows down when I go to either clutch or recoil side while running. H was able to stay at 1 turn and the saw reached top end much better than before I worked on it.

I figure it must be in a carb passage that is partially blocked. What do you think?

Checked and cleaned. Still needs over 2 turns(L jet) on low to start. As I turn L to 1 turn, it revs quite high. I have the idle screw all the way out and it still is too fast. No leak on pressure or vac. The saw slows down when I go to either clutch or recoil side while running. H was able to stay at 1 turn and the saw reached top end much better than before I worked on it.

I figure it must be in a carb passage that is partially blocked. What do you think?

very possible if everything else checks out ok then it has to be it

Id raise the metering lever a hair...always seems to help me after a rebuild on these little poulans.

Hell I have been known to whittle out a starter handle while in the woods,or a gas cap to get me going again, but I learned while young that gas and an open flame will singe your eye brows.:)

And the hair in your nose....

You will need to pull the welsh plug

I read that you had to clean the screen so it appears some debris made it into the low speed chamber under the plug and is blocking the jet holes into the carb bore.

You can try removing the carb and removing the low speed needle ONLY and spray a little carb cleaner in the screw hole then blowing compressed air back through the low speed holes from inside the bore but I doubt that would clean it all out.

You will need to pull the welsh plug

I read that you had to clean the screen so it appears some debris made it into the low speed chamber under the plug and is blocking the jet holes into the carb bore.

You can try removing the carb and removing the low speed needle ONLY and spray a little carb cleaner in the screw hole then blowing compressed air back through the low speed holes from inside the bore but I doubt that would clean it all out.

Thanks, Pes+. I will give it a go, but Chainsawwhisperer has offered a carb and the plastic parts that were melted off. So I will be covered either way.

Back