Saw Dummy Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabinman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ive heard of some saw mods,and have a little experience with 2 cyc exhaust mods, I am lookin to get the most out of my 038 sthil with least money spent, I dont need any piston, jug work yet, so I want to bolt on a tuned exhaust, and or carb, Its an old saw but in good shape, I really need a saw to run a big bar but what are my options for squezing my 038 in the mean time, Thanks guys, T,C, E,J,

Ive heard of some saw mods,and have a little experience with 2 cyc exhaust mods, I am lookin to get the most out of my 038 sthil with least money spent, I dont need any piston, jug work yet, so I want to bolt on a tuned exhaust, and or carb, Its an old saw but in good shape, I really need a saw to run a big bar but what are my options for squezing my 038 in the mean time, Thanks guys, T,C, E,J,

Well the cheapest mod would be remove the muffler, seperate, remove the inner cage , put a few holes in the outer half 4-6 3/16'', maybe under the extra layer where there not as easily visible or add a pipe to it. reassemble and readjust carb. You will see the difference. How big of bar are you talkin. Mine had a 24 with no problem at all, when it was totally stock.

more imfo

Well the cheapest mod would be remove the muffler, seperate, remove the inner cage , put a few holes in the outer half 4-6 3/16'', maybe under the extra layer where there not as easily visible or add a pipe to it. reassemble and readjust carb. You will see the difference. How big of bar are you talkin. Mine had a 24 with no problem at all, when it was totally stock.

I think i got it ,...open up the muffler, take out the baffle, drill holes in the outter part of the muffler,...right,? ok, than you said add a pipe,... are you talkin about replacing the whole thing with tuned exhaust,?....

An 038 with the muffler opened up should easily handle a 24" bar. Those models are a tad heavy, but they sure are bomb proof. Is it a Super?

An 038 with the muffler opened up should easily handle a 24" bar. Those models are a tad heavy, but they sure are bomb proof. Is it a Super?

I believe the 038 is one of the legendary saws that made STIHL what it is today.

Buck

Its a av, whats the difference in an av verses a super?, and dont they make a mod, Thanks, Eric

Its a av, whats the difference in an av verses a super?, and dont they make a mod, Thanks, Eric

There are three models of 038. The 038av is 61cc, the 038Super 66cc? and the 038 Magnum 72cc. I might be off by a cc but that's how the 3 stack up. You'll get a little power with a muffler mod and retune the carb (make sure you do it right and don't open the muffler too much) but in your case and depending on what you want to cut with the longer bar, you might pull a 24" with skip chain in soft wood, but a 20" is all I'd run on that size saw. Of course you have the option of finding a Magnum piston and Cyl. and upgrading it too that size. :cheers:

thanks for responding guys

Ill be looking for a mod piston and jug, And do the muffler mod now starting with 4 3/16 holes for starters, I need to pull at least a 24in bar, Thanks Eric

I have a 034 super and was wondering if i could do a muffler mod also? If so how many holes and how big should they be?

Inner baffle

Cmb, Its not clear whether I should leave out the inner baffle or not,Its an av, most restrected muf in the illistrations, Thanks, Eric

Cabinman,
There is an excellent thread on muffler mods in the chainsaw forum. The best rule of thumb is 80-85% of the cylinder exhaust port opening. In other words measure the area of your exhaust port in the cylinder.(stack dried spaghetti in the port and count the number. Then measure the total area of your exit port in the muffler. Should be no more than 80-85% after your modifications. IMHO and my experience you can safely remove the exhaust baffle provided the exit or exits from the muffler aren't larger than the above percentages. Opening up the exit on the muffler larger than what the internal baffle openings are will not provide any improvement.This is what I have experienced . If I am wrong Hopefully someone will correct me. Experiment with it, open up the muffler a little at a time and test run it. if you go overboard you can always braze 'em back shut. Good luck and let us know ow it turns out. (even though it's a stihl:hmm3grin2orange: ) Just kidding! They're all good!!

what are the standard carb adjustments for an 038 av, I just put on a different carb and need to fine tune it

what are the standard carb adjustments for an 038 av, I just put on a different carb and need to fine tune it

Todd, post this in the chainsaw forum you should get a quicker response. As a general rule though at WOT richen it up until it starts to burble, or 4-stroke(as some call it). when you put it under load(ie in a cut ,it will smooth out.)Do NOT simply go for highest RPM or you'll lean it out and burn a piston.
mike

Cabinman,
There is an excellent thread on muffler mods in the chainsaw forum. The best rule of thumb is 80-85% of the cylinder exhaust port opening. In other words measure the area of your exhaust port in the cylinder.(stack dried spaghetti in the port and count the number. Then measure the total area of your exit port in the muffler. Should be no more than 80-85% after your modifications. IMHO and my experience you can safely remove the exhaust baffle provided the exit or exits from the muffler aren't larger than the above percentages. Opening up the exit on the muffler larger than what the internal baffle openings are will not provide any improvement.This is what I have experienced . If I am wrong Hopefully someone will correct me. Experiment with it, open up the muffler a little at a time and test run it. if you go overboard you can always braze 'em back shut. Good luck and let us know ow it turns out. (even though it's a stihl:hmm3grin2orange: ) Just kidding! They're all good!!
Thanks 58, Ill try it a little at a time,..Eric

Latest posts

Back