Saw for fun and learn-Husky 372 "junksaw" salvage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Savage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe I better post this into „Whats on your bench“...

An old Husqvarna 372, one of the first-with 1 ring piston, definitely pre-2000. I bought it after not-so-much inspecting it, as there was a bunch of mismatched bolts and instead of Allen heads, there were Torx on the muffler, which I didn´t have with me. It was running, could cut, but nothing stellar. As I expected toasted cylinder anyway, I brought it home, with several parts to complete the deal-a used, but fine tank/handle for Jonsered 2071, HD-12B carb, new small mount Husky 15“ 3/8 0,058“ bar and Husky front handle broken in such a way it will be easy to use it for making a custom fullwrap, which are less numerous than hens teeth around here. There was already a Jonsered front handle adapted on it, which is what I would do anyway as I like the Jonsered ergonomy better. The seller wanted it go, as he was a Stihl guy and got this saw from someone who was owing him money for some other work.

External de-gunk before teardown yielded about 1/2 pound of all kinds of sawdust, oily and greasy mess. The teardown also revealed that instead of quite simple swaps, I have to do a complete disassembly.

That saw was sure a production falling saw, at one point absorbed some nasty fall or partial skidder tuning, then it was sure used as a ripping/mill saw. Interesting, how much one can read from wear&tear, completed with sawdust kinds.

Well, the piston was trash-bottom of skirts were 0,02“ (yes, that much) smaller than originaly were, there was a piece of NiSi worn below the intake port on the clutch side-I asked already about the cylinder here, before using brute methods to get rid of the thin piston transfer and overall cleaning the cylinder. But otherways turned out to be in surprising condition, at least given the abuse the saw went through Clutch side bearing will need a little help of Loctite, for sure from the milling use, the crank is so so, main bearings just minutes from death, bar oil equipment and tank sleazy from occasional use of used motor oil for bar oil (I was surprised the pump is OK, expected it to be worn out). Some of the threads ripped, some very worn-starter housing and dogs only, otherways perfect. I don´t have pictures of this stage, since my camera went south at the time. Junksaw, OK?

OK. Total wash and cleanup, new main bearings, some kind of el cheapo piston to try to get some fun outta the cylinder (and Meteor kit on the way), several bits to brake mechanism, turning some inserts from brass with new threads, partial filling worn threads with one of my favourite „liquid metals“ and cleaning them up with tap (tight fit, I´m curious how this will hold up on starter housing and one of the felling dog bolt), making some bolts as to fit repaired threads closely, making new kill wires and other usual stuff.

Since the cylinder is not the best, no brute port work. Just cleaning up and blending of the intake and exhaust (maybe 5-8%gain in area), blending the cylinder to case and altering the bottom skirt of the cylinder as not to totaly loose side-to-side suport it provides:
12376-1445901065-2e1fedae440fc655f5ce20f9187907bd.jpg

Base gasket delete. Unfortunately, the piston has crown a little shorter than OEM, a bit less than the gasket thickness. So the squish is 0,032 instead of 0,038-0,040 and the timing is about the same as stock. No freeporting, which is nice:
12377-1445901066-aee933b7a5a54679c02a3c0eb068f007.jpg

A little „math“ and here we go-busted muffler with prepared 14 mm ID tube to form second port, which will give me right the 80% rule of thumb (thanks, Timberwolf!). The hole in the internal bulkhead is already somewher around 130% of the exhaust, so no need to gut it all. For now...
12378-1445901068-bc7f3184232ef5717a5b434238ac2f12.jpg

Some work to repair the busted front-big flat head bolt used as the pull device, two 1/4“ threaded rods are securing the muff to the vice:
12379-1445901069-c2c98e3d907b91bf6aa9bf272a84fac4.jpg

Ready to grind. The slanted part of the tube is placed upwards. Now it seems to me as too much entrance:
12380-1445901070-ba8652e51500e2d9ad804d568c2e1a17.jpg

Finished. The weld is far from perfect, even for me. Too leafy structure after all that yeas of abuse, too thick crust of unremovable carbon on the inside. Sometimes it jut burned out, I had to walk over it twice. OK, TIG would be deffinitely better than welding 1/25“ thick tube to 1/32“ thick muff wall, by 1/16 stick electrode...
12381-1445901072-7132340543bd9ebf46b6cebfb4c02fce.jpg

A litttle secret how to keep the bar oil from messing everything up during bar change or during transport without the bar. May be too finicky for most, but after little cleanup usualy I can have my saws in the livingroom, without any spills or smell. New clutch, new clutch drum, new bearing of course:
12382-1445901073-475b9f8f3507ff26ad09f56139674067.jpg

BTW, flywheel puller I made in 10 minutes in the picture too
12383-1445901074-e7cba2f238fdd7962194c32cc01fa86a.jpg

It runs, at least with no to little load, no cuts so far (middle of a big town...). Idle seems to be somewhere at 1,3 turns, starts to flood out at 2-2,1 turns at H needle, about 1,8 turns is +/- optimal. So far, so good. Too late today, some cuts in two days I hope. Have to finish a compression check adaptor, but preliminary eyeballing is somewhere around 150 or little plus. The starter cord return spring is on the first revolution where it can return the rope all the way and when held by the starter handle, it takes ages to turn over three times by own weight. The first is some 6+ seconds, cold with no break-in on the rings. Not a squish qeen, not a finger ripper, I know. But I must admit several first starts without decomp surprised me a little.

Hmmm, not any serious testing yet, but several observations:
-even the +/- 0,008" lesser than stock squish made the saw idle with more vibrations
-it seems to me that with the muff mod and little cylinder skirt alteration done, the saw is now choked by still untouched stock transfers. Since the smell of exhaut on idle and little above it tells me it can wash some mix out now, I think about enlarging the rear transfers to the intake a little. To unchoke it and also to alter flow in the cylinder, to make the transfers wash the volume more from the rear. I would say that as of now, the front transfers are overcontributing somehow, so small enlarging of rear transfers will throw the flow balance into their favor. I mean more of altering the "pocket" behind the window (on the intake part of the transfer) than realy adding some transfer window area.
Or add small finger ports about 1/20" high, about 1/16" wide and 1/25" deep to the rear upper corner of the rear transfer, as not to give them much flow volume, just to make the exhaust gas mass started from the rear of the cylinder?

Any sugestions from local porting gurus?

Well, the compression is definitely not as high as I stated above. I was just too generous on oil during assembly, so it is different now, when the oil got washed out finaly. Hopefuly I will get to making a valve tomorrow, so some measured reading will be availible.

The amount of gas smell outta exhaust and hard, jumpy cold idle combined with lower sensitivity to carb adjustments made me real suspicious, so I opened the carb-and sure as hell, there was the old needle lever, protruding some 0,006" over the metering chamber surface. I obviously grabbed the wrong one from the pile of inner parts, so litte investigation revealed the new one under the bench and here we go-the Husky smooth is back.

Adaptor to use a bicycle fork pump for compression gauge done.
Old sparkplug body, the ceramic snapped off and then I used handheld concrete drill and small hammer-tap, turn a bit, tap... In 5 mins all the ceramic gone. The white cylinder is a piece of polyamide drilled through and pressed into sparkplug body, with M8x0,75 thread on both ends, the same as is on auto valves for rims and tubes. On the left is auto rim valve body without the valve, stripped off the rubber "pear" which originaly fits it into the rim. On the right, hidden in th former electrode chanel, is threaded in a piece of brass with small hole through, with a sharp "lip" formed on the inner end. Inside the polyamide cylinder, a flat rubber piece sits on this lip, backed by piece of PA block (to prevent it flipping upon cranking the saw), all pushed a bit against the sealing lip by piece of sharpie spring. All this is retained in place by crewing in the valve body, which serves as a hose fitting. The other end of the hose is equipped the same, to bolt into standard fitting on a pump used originaly to charge bike forks and dampers.
12396-1446042502-c3c6675f0983e3c57e6dd782ee79c74a.jpg

12397-1446042504-a4ce13e427a7b5595a93c723c69acd9b.jpg

Not bombproof now, as the rubber I have on hand to use for the seal is too hard for such a low pressure aplication. But holds the pressure long enought to get some idea-mid 140-ish to 150 dead cold, with about 15 mins of mostly idling so far.
Quite a surprise for $20 piston in so-so saved cylinder on almost stock numbers :cool:

It's kinda fun salvaging old stuff. Let us know how it goes when you put it into the wood :)

Four and half tanks through it so far. 1,5 tanks on a thinning job last week, 16" spruce snag is no load for it, but good to break-in the rings. This weekend a three tank tree removal job-a semidried cottonwood, this saw went into bussines for 7 cuts at +/-26" dia and three cuts from 38" to 45" incl. bark and mud. Kinda underbar situation with a 24" and stock dawgs. (Man, how pissed I was I have not finished some real spikes...)
It is pretty hard to bog it down with out-from-the-box LGX 73 chain, by usual downpressure like in blsnellings videos the force needed is somewhere close to damage to the AV. 20"x30" ripping cut in a bit knotty crotch was somewhere close or below 2 minutes even with a bit dull chain. Overall, in such soft wood, the biggest trouble is the usual small clutch cover and noodles not clearing fast enought. Still I feel what I´ve done is quite little, albeit I´m at 1,75 turns for H needle and with some dogging on the rear handle, the saw sometimes clears the sound.
No video, the weather was a mess. But will get one, since the owner found out today afternoon that 3,5´x5,5´ piece is not a one-man affair for barehanded:ices_rofl:

OK, after two years of quite little use, some results:
The saw ran great with 78-100-124 timing. Not extra fast, but decent. Way better than stock. Then I wanted to pimp it up a little and made small (2,5 mm wide) short fingerports from the rear aux corner up, opened at 117. I had no angle attachment, so a crude job with grinding stone. The result was a mixbreed. A real gas guzzler. WOT lower. RPM in the cut lower, probaly around 8000. Poor starts. Three carb re-sets during warm-up. Lazy as two days old roadkill accelerating between 5-7k. But when it reached the eqilibrium, there was no way to stop it. With 24" it was impossible to grind a chain which would slow the already slow, but steady pace. Sometimes, it got plugged by the chips to such an extent a disassembly was needed-long, thick slices of wood and too many of them, the standard cover didn´t keep up and no way to get the PNW style around here. A lazy bi/ch of a worksaw, but bucking monster. Then the saw died slowly over one tank, slowing down, getting extra poor acceleration and starts.
Reason?
Clutch side bearing was pulled to front, leaving am egg-shaped seat in the case half by about 0,5 mm. So I need to get new case and cylinder to make another config. And now go for rpm and not for torque...

Latest posts

Back