Saw Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I searched for something like this and couldn't really find specific answers for what I was looking for so here goes...

How often does everyone Clean their air filter? Change spark plugs? Blow out your saw. Give a good general once over to make sure everything is tip top? My 266XP was running like crap today, so I brought it home and blew out the air filter, changed the plug, tuned the rev, blew it out, more or less gave it the once over. It's running like a champ again thank goodness. I've been running it for maybe 1-2 months now and haven't done a thing, it's prolly cut 10-20 face cord of wood I'd say. My 041's on the other hand have cut twice that much and just seem to keep going and going and never need a bit of adjustment or plug replacement or anything and they always run tip top. Is there more tuning/maint. involved with huskies over the Stihls? Anyone notice this? Or was it just time? How often do you do all of the above eh? Thanks all...

Blow off the saw/clean it after each heavy use. Air filter cleaned on the husky's and dolmars whenever it starts to get dirty. Air filter on the stihls get shaken and blown off about every other tank of fuel.

Spark plugs about one a year. I try to change the filter once a year also. Carb kit once every two years or if it starts acting up before hand.

It might be redundant, but I baby my saws. A saw is only as good as the maintence it recieves....

Every time I remove my chain to sharpen it (in the winter that means about every two weeks), I blow off the entire saw with the air hose, make sure the oil ports in the saw and the bar are clean, the grooves in the bar are clean, I blow out the air filter, and make sure the oiler is working properly. I also check the bar for wear, and "dress" it on my disc sander if it needs it. I usually check the plug every couple of years, and only replace it it shows worn electrodes or gets fouled badly which rarely happens.

I know for a fact that in the back of Stihl and Husqvarna manuals, there is a maintainence schedule.
Look there, and you will not only find stuff you know about, but things few of us probably do, and the frequency they should be taken care of.

If you actually do all of it, I imagine your saw will run very well for a LOOONG time.

i clean the saw roughly after every use, and do a complete cleanup with compressed air maybe once a month or so (i only saw in weekends)...

musch said:
I know for a fact that in the back of Stihl and Husqvarna manuals, there is a maintainence schedule.
Look there, and you will not only find stuff you know about, but things few of us probably do, and the frequency they should be taken care of.

If you actually do all of it, I imagine your saw will run very well for a LOOONG time.

I guess if I got any of my saws new, I'd have manuals. But since I didn't (and I imagine many here fall into that group), I just use my best judgement and a bit of common sense to see me thru. It's worked well for me for many years now, and I'm no spring chicken at 50! :D

Air Filters--Cleaned every tank fill (use the shop vac to clean the HD filter)
Plugs---Approx every 6 months or so
Ignition-No problems yet
AV Mounts-As Needed
Clutch Springs-Once a year
Clutch-Haven't worn one out, yet
Chain Brake-Cleaned every other bar flip

Muffler Bearings-Every Other Day;)

General Cleaning-Every time I use it (usually use the shop vac and a rag)
Detailed Cleaning-Once a month or so (using brake clean, compressed air and the shop vac)

Saws that I use: Homie XL2, Stihl MS192, 020T, 260, 390, 066, 084.

FWIW,

Andy

Last edited:
Indiana John said:
I guess if I got any of my saws new, I'd have manuals. But since I didn't (and I imagine many here fall into that group), I just use my best judgement and a bit of common sense to see me thru. It's worked well for me for many years now, and I'm no spring chicken at 50! :D

Thats no excuse, spring chicken!!

Obviously you have internet access, so,....

Husky manuals are here..

Stihl Manuals are here.

There ya go. :hmm3grin2orange:

musch said:
Thats no excuse, spring chicken!!

Obviously you have internet access, so,....

Husky manuals are here..

Stihl Manuals are here.

There ya go. :hmm3grin2orange:

That's right - and if you don't find a manual for the exact model you have, it doesn't really matter much - they will put you in the ballpark.:D

Intervalls for cleaning air filters vary quite a bit though, generally saws with "Air Injection" or similar systems heve longer intervalls, but there are also other variables.

Great

That's some great info. Clutches and whatnot, I never even thought about looking at them. Never had one go bad. Butttttt, now that I know I can start cleaning around that stuff also...

Back