saw some interesting cabling in the gardens today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went for a walk through the botanical gardens in sydney and saw some cabling scenarios I hadn't encountered before. We don't seem to have much of a market for cabling/bracing in aus and i must admit I'm kinda ambivalent about it myself. Thought I'd post some of these up anyhow for interest's sake.

First up is a dragon's blood tree which I hadn't seen in person before.

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

Looks like they've used Tenex or similar and created a braided eye with a whole lotta bury on one end, and a whoopie sling type arrangement with a whole lotta bury on the other end. Hadn't seen this sort of application before, but it blended in pretty nicely and seems like that tree wouldn't have the strength to support through bolting so the rope is a more secure option. the whoopie sling is easily adjustable, not sure how long the tenex would last in an outdoor application like this though.

Next up was a brachychiton rupestris, that had subsided and split in half. They've used standing stainless rigging off a yacht to make a real neat tidy job of this. The two cables come into a central rigging plate, then back out to through bolts on the tree.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

The stays are adjustable, but not a whole lot. It's a tidy install though. It's worth noting this garden is beside the sea, so it cops a fair bit of salt water spray. They also used a stainless fitting with pins hammered into the split section of the trunk to try to slow down the splitting. From the look of how the pins have been torn through the trunk it looks like it has only been marginally successful. Nobody was around to talk to about the history of it, would have been nice to get some information.

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Saw a pretty good size moreton bay fig also. Not the biggest I've seen for sure, but had a good spread on it. Trunk was about 10~12' DBH before the root flare starts.

I don't think there's much commercial application for cabling in australia, and I'd be hesitant to sell it anyhow. I don't think my insurance would back me. It works fine in a setting like a botanical garden where they have full time staff and do regular inspections, but in a home environment seems like the kind of thing that would fall by the wayside.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 8
If u ever make it to the states, and can get to SoCal, Balboa park in San Diego is amazing, they have some figs that will blow your mind. One of them has roots so big, they have to check them every night for homeless setting up camps in between them. Very cool trees. I love those dragon trees too, just freakin cool looking

Is it just me or do the anchor points look too low to properly prevent further splitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back