Saw Storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this while up marking and cruising trees to be cut for an emergency helicopter landing area.
attachment.php

I left a note about how they need to fly up some EMERGENCY CHOCOLATE and have it handy. It was a long long climb for this round girl to get up to that spot. Chocolate would have been nice.:greenchainsaw:

If the right (or wrong) person would have happened upon that saw, he would have been out of work the next morning when he returned to the bush!

If the right (or wrong) person would have happened upon that saw, he would have been out of work the next morning when he returned to the bush!

It is a half mile uphill and not on trails. Then you'd have to pack it back down the half mile. Let me see, I'm slow and I spent 3 hours total-- going up, (which was quick because I had a helicopter yarding logs over me the first bit, and that is not a good thing), then finding the area, then marking and cruising all the additional timber to be cut, then had a sip of water, then back down a more roundabout way to avoid having logs flown over, had to go through some fell and buck, then sidehill along the top of a creek drainage, then through a brushy plantation, then onto a ripped up road. Then I waited for the helicopter to go back for fuel and I hurried on down to the truck. I would not have wanted to pack a saw. I didn't want to pack anything. I think the saw is extremely safe from being stolen.

We usually don't stick them in a tree but if we're coming back to the same strip the next day we'll often leave our saws. Especially if it's a long steep walk out. We're usually quite a ways in and I've never lost a saw that way.

What do guys do in your part of the country?

I do the same thing, packing a saw out maybe once a week to blow out all the chips, but every so often I'll take my filter home and wash it. I usually throw a few boughs over it, but I doubt no one would get it, especially on a highlead setting. Although...We have had a rash of thefts in the woods the last two years here.

We usually don't stick them in a tree but if we're coming back to the same strip the next day we'll often leave our saws. Especially if it's a long steep walk out. We're usually quite a ways in and I've never lost a saw that way.

What do guys do in your part of the country?

Ssshhhhhhh. Quiet please. Let's keep people not knowing..I've never seen a saw stuck in a tree for overnight either. I hid The Barbie Saw while I ran and got the pickup. I found a geocache at the spot I picked to hide the saw so hurried as quick as I could. A saw would make a good geocache find!

We would leave them in the woods in Alaska. Once I found my saw rolled part way down the hill with tooth (bear) marks on the handle. Twice they got my oil jug. Must have needed a laxative.
Only a few places around here that I would leave my saw in the woods. I hide my other hand tools a lot of times but not the saws.

I do the same thing, packing a saw out maybe once a week to blow out all the chips, but every so often I'll take my filter home and wash it. I usually throw a few boughs over it, but I doubt no one would get it, especially on a highlead setting. Although...We have had a rash of thefts in the woods the last two years here.

We've had some thefts, too. Since scrap prices went up the meth monsters are on the prowl. One outfit lost three old skidder tires...taken for the rims I guess. Must have been pretty healthy meth monsters to load those puppies. They also took the doors from the loader and a bunch of old kinked up chokers. They also got all the batteries.

Back